× Members

Assessment report received/MR advice needed please

More
7 years 8 months ago #166065 by enigma75
My helper and I are writing my evidence, and I'm putting which descriptors I think I should have been awarded. I'm not sure which descriptor fits me for preparing food. I'm unable to do it reliably and repeatedly, so does that mean I should count as unable to do it at all?

I'm not sure if the 'needs assistance' descriptor is for people who are able to cook regularly/every day as long they get assistance, or for people like me, who would benefit from assistance but would still not be able to do it more than a couple of times a week, if that, and the person assisting would still have to do most of the work.

I thought about stating that I think I'm entitled to either the 8-point descriptor or the 4-point one, but I'm wondering if that would be counterproductive and weaken my argument?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #166072 by enigma75
Oh, and what sort of thing can we write to show that I'm not just relying on memory? I have a recording & my helper took notes on the day. I don't want to mention the recording if possible but I don't want them to turn it against me by claiming that my memory problems can't be that bad if I can remember an assessment from ages ago. I'm relying on the notes and recording, not my memory.

More
7 years 8 months ago #166073 by slugsta

Cat wrote: My helper and I are writing my evidence, and I'm putting which descriptors I think I should have been awarded. I'm not sure which descriptor fits me for preparing food. I'm unable to do it reliably and repeatedly, so does that mean I should count as unable to do it at all?

I'm not sure if the 'needs assistance' descriptor is for people who are able to cook regularly/every day as long they get assistance, or for people like me, who would benefit from assistance but would still not be able to do it more than a couple of times a week, if that, and the person assisting would still have to do most of the work.

I thought about stating that I think I'm entitled to either the 8-point descriptor or the 4-point one, but I'm wondering if that would be counterproductive and weaken my argument?

If you cannot carry out an activity reliably, even with help, then you should say so and aim for the appropriate descriptor.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: enigma75

More
7 years 8 months ago #166074 by slugsta

Cat wrote: Oh, and what sort of thing can we write to show that I'm not just relying on memory? I have a recording & my helper took notes on the day. I don't want to mention the recording if possible but I don't want them to turn it against me by claiming that my memory problems can't be that bad if I can remember an assessment from ages ago. I'm relying on the notes and recording, not my memory.

You could say at the start that you have used a recording to refresh your memory about the events of the assessment (if you are going to argue that certain things were/were not said or done).

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: enigma75

More
7 years 8 months ago #166090 by enigma75
I worry about mentioning the recording since it was done covertly. I checked the guides to make sure it's not illegal, but the DWP still probably won't take kindly to it and I don't want a black mark on my record :unsure: .

More
7 years 8 months ago #166094 by Gordon

Cat wrote: I worry about mentioning the recording since it was done covertly. I checked the guides to make sure it's not illegal, but the DWP still probably won't take kindly to it and I don't want a black mark on my record :unsure: .

It is perfectly legal to covertly record the assessment for your own purposes, there's no reason for the DWP to have any opinion on it :)

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: enigma75, slugsta

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.