× Members

PIP award letter arrived today. Little rant.

More
7 years 8 months ago #167352 by mattk35
So a little back ground to the story. My wife was diagnosed with MS 14 years ago and so in 2013 when she went downhill she applied for PIP and was awarded standard rate for care and the higher rate for mobility.
Couple of months ago she received a letter to say she was to be reassessed and today received the award letter.
Standard rate for care and standard rate for mobility.
I've just had a read through the "How your disability affects you" questionnaires for this year and last and both are near identical due to the fact that my wifes health has only slightly deteriorated. We did get CAB help the first time filling in the form but did use a lot of it again plus some helpfull bits from the downloads from this website.

So I'm wondering.... is this a consistency issue or something else?

Any thoughts are welcome....

Just feels so much better to get this off my chest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #167354 by Gordon
mattk35

There have been changes to the DWP guidance for the Going Out activity, is this where she is scoring her points for Mobility?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 8 months ago #167355 by Gordon
mattk35

There have been changes to the DWP guidance for the Going Out activity, is this where she is scoring her points for Mobility?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 8 months ago #167361 by mattk35
Replied by mattk35 on topic PIP award letter arrived today. Little rant.
Thanks for the reply Gordon. So the last time she was awarded 4 points for "Planning and following a journey" but this time she scored 0.

The write up to answer the question was more or less identical apart from some of the sentences in a different order.

More
7 years 8 months ago #167382 by Gordon

mattk35 wrote: Thanks for the reply Gordon. So the last time she was awarded 4 points for "Planning and following a journey" but this time she scored 0.

The write up to answer the question was more or less identical apart from some of the sentences in a different order.

Last time she was assessed as

b. Needs prompting to be able to undertake any journey to avoid overwhelming psychological
distress to the claimant. 4 points.

So this time they are sating that she no longer needs the prompting and can leave the house without problem. It could simply be the result of a different assessor and Decision Maker, but it does imply that the evidence to support this is weak. Typical conditions for this Descriptor would be Agoraphobia of Social Anxiety.

I'm assuming that she scored at least 4 points for Moving Around.

More
7 years 8 months ago #167435 by mattk35
Replied by mattk35 on topic PIP award letter arrived today. Little rant.
Gordon, 10 points in the moving around category.

So in the "my decision" write up in the award letter.

I quote, you said you have difficulty planning and following journeys. I decided you can plan and follow the route of a journey.

We explained to the assessor when she came round about my wifes anxiety and this was also stated in the questionnaire.

I spoke with DWP today to ask for a mandatory reconsideration and will also be sending a letter to follow the phone call up.

We're just a bit stumped as to how we can enhance her case as we have no real evidence apart from of course if the assessor fancied going out for a drive with my wife to see what kind of state she gets into.

Moderators: GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.