× Members

Inheritence

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #213134 by Mark1968
Replied by Mark1968 on topic Inheritence
First of all thanks Gordon for answering me questions today. I phoned DWP and after being on hold for just over an hour I explained my situation and they said I shall keep my income based benefits until the money from the sale goes into my bank account which is a relief. She has put on my file about the inheritance and to keep them updated on any sale. I asked about buying another property and she said that shouldn't be a problem and I want to start looking now. My only worry is I would like a decision maker to confirm in writing I can do this but she said that can't be done until I have the money from the sale. I know I will still be over the £16,000 limit when I sell and buy another property because where I want to buy, where I live now is much cheaper but I am worried if I buy before a decision maker says I can and if in the future I need to claim any means tested benefits that they could say buying the new property was a deprivation of capital. Also I asked if I should phone my local council regards housing benefit and council tax support, she said best to so will do so tomorrow. I'm presuming and hoping that will be the same as DWP until the money actually goes into my account when sold. Am contacting estate agent as well tomorrow to get the inherited property on the market.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #213136 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Inheritence
Mark

If you only spoke to one of the DWP call centre staff then they do not have the authority to tell you that nothing will happen until the money is in your bank account, it may well be that this is what the DWP will do but it's not for these staff to say it.

I would write to the DWP office dealing with your claim detailing the contents of the conversation, send it by a Tracked post so that you have proof of delivery.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark1968

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #213145 by Mark1968
Would that be the address on my last ESA letter?

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #213146 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Inheritence

Mark1968 wrote: Would that be the address on my last ESA letter?

Yes

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark1968

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #213147 by Mark1968
Thanks again Gordon, have been drafting letter since you mentioned this. Will post tomorrow.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.