× Members

Inheritence

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #213111 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Inheritence
Mark

Answering both your questions in one, the house while you are not living in it is a capital asset, whichever route you choose; it being sold on your behalf or put in your name and then sold, the capital remain the same, you either have a house worth £200,000 or £200,000 in cash. If you buy a new house then you a house which you live in for £180,000 then you have a house worth £180,000 (which will be disregarded) and £20,000 in cash but you still have £200,000 assets and savings.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark1968

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #213114 by Mark1968
Replied by Mark1968 on topic Inheritence
So do I need to contact the DWP now after receiving this letter from solicitors regarding this asset before any house sale? Will they stop my means tested benefits immediately or will they let me keep them until any sale?

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #213118 by Gordon

Mark1968 wrote: So do I need to contact the DWP now after receiving this letter from solicitors regarding this asset before any house sale? Will they stop my means tested benefits immediately or will they let me keep them until any sale?

If you now have ownership of the house then you must contact the DWP.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #213120 by Mark1968
The solicitors letter says we are now in a position to deal with my aunts property so is that now classed as ownership, I haven't signed anything.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #213122 by Gordon

Mark1968 wrote: The solicitors letter says we are now in a position to deal with my aunts property so is that now classed as ownership, I haven't signed anything.

I can't answer this. What does the solicitor say?

Gordon

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #213124 by Mark1968
I will call now, I have asked him regarding benefits but he says he cannot advise me on that. I just need to know if I am the legal owner now they are in a position to deal with it and obviously I will inform DWP if I am, my worry is if I lose all my income related benefits even though I will have an asset worth over £16,000 I am getting no income from it and that would mean I would have to pay my rent and council tax from my contribution based esa and pip which wouldn't leave me enough to pay the bills and buy food.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.