× Members

Universal credit advice

More
5 years 7 months ago #216205 by Peter Parker
Universal credit advice was created by Peter Parker
I've just moved to a new flat and it is in a universal credit area. Council informed me that I need to contact UC regarding my housing benefit. After calling DWP, PIP and UC, it seems that I have to attend job centre and also get a fit note from my GP. 6 hours with waiting on hold it took and I'm quite stressed. UC said my support group and severe disability premium status may be affected and I may get less in the way of benefits. UC is terribly thought out and if it must happen i do not see why DWP cannot just transfer it over without constant hoop jumping. I am concerned that my GP will not provide fit note as he is very anti mental health support. I wonder what information is required from doctor? The tribunal service said i shouldn't be assessed for two years from late March this year and now it looks like DWP are trying another method to put me in work related activity group again. Any advice would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #216216 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Universal credit advice
Peter

The appointment at your JC+ is to provide documents to prove your identity, you must attend this or your UC claim will be closed.

Make it clear that you are currently in the Support Group, this status should be automatically transferred to UC with you needing to be assessed again. The Fit Notes should not be required but having been asked I would provide one to avoid further problem.

I'm afraid the Tribunals recommendation is exactly that, a recommendation, so you need to make it perfectly clear to anybody who is available that you are already in the SG.

I'm afraid you are going to lose your Premiums, however, this should be temporary although it may take several months to sort out.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 7 months ago #216222 by Peter Parker
Replied by Peter Parker on topic Universal credit advice
Thanks Gordon. Why would I lose my premiums and would I need to chase it up with them or will it be done automatically? UC seems to be the idea of somebody with no brain.

More
5 years 7 months ago #216223 by Peter Parker
Replied by Peter Parker on topic Universal credit advice
I forgot to ask. The term fit note made me nervous. Would I be correct in thinking my GP is legally obliged to provide this information which is professionally diagnosed and not his ill informed opinion?

More
5 years 7 months ago #216251 by Gordon

Peter Parker wrote: Thanks Gordon. Why would I lose my premiums and would I need to chase it up with them or will it be done automatically? UC seems to be the idea of somebody with no brain.

Becuase they are currently not payable under UC, however, the Government lost a court case recently over this issue and are looking at how they can pay the Premiums in UC but it requires a legislation change so will be at least a couple of months before this happens.

There should be back payment of any lost money.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 7 months ago #216252 by Gordon

Peter Parker wrote: I forgot to ask. The term fit note made me nervous. Would I be correct in thinking my GP is legally obliged to provide this information which is professionally diagnosed and not his ill informed opinion?

The issuing of a Fit Note is a medical decision so there is no "obligation" to issue one, that said, if the GP believes a patient to be unable to work then there should be no problem with issuing a Note.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Parker

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.