× Members

PIP REVIEW

More
5 years 3 months ago #225048 by worrywart
Replied by worrywart on topic PIP REVIEW
Yes I did Gordon. She wrote the following in report -
She reports in FH that she can follow directions to a familiar and unfamiliar route ( I never said latter, I only make short familiar journeys) .
She went onto say despite MSE presenting as low with good cognition and understanding , is on medication for depression not reflecting overwhelming anxiety, further considering FE detailing her as psychologically fragile. On still being assessed for mental health and further based on CQ AND FH reporting , it is likely she can repeatedly and to an acceptable standard plan and follow etc.
It’s not very well written doesn’t make sense in places. It seems she is saying then as I am still being assessed for mental health it has gone against me ?
If my husband didn’t encourage me I’d never go out, with three problematic stoma bags and a catastrophic outcome to surgery for which there is no fix, I’d become a recluse.
Sorry for long reply, it’s difficult when you can’t see the whole text of report.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #225049 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP REVIEW
worrywart

Two things;

- you mention your stoma bags as a reason that you do not go out, this is a physical restriction and won't be considered directly for the Going Out activity
- you say in your post that you do make short familiar journeys, this argues against you needing prompting.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: worrywart

More
5 years 3 months ago #225134 by worrywart
Hi Gordon,
I suppose what I’m upset about is things were the same when I applied for pip on 2016 and I got enhanced mobility, my reasons were the same, the assessor noted then I could make short journeys but longer ones required prompting etc. Since then I’ve had more severe psychological problems following more failed surgery and having to accept my bowel has been permanently damaged and my life severely compromised. Seems there is inconsistency in the assessors view of things and those 4 points now mean I lose the car, I want to appeal but from what I understand I don’t have a chance.
Second question is can I appeal the length of the award ? They say I’m still being assessed but I’m not , there is no fix here, my surgeon has said he would never operate me again so I’m stuck with this but the thought of going through this again next year is pretty torturous to be honest,

More
5 years 3 months ago #225136 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP REVIEW
worrywart

I'm not saying that you cannot score the points but the arguments that you are putting forward are unlikely to be successful.

The length of the award is part of the Decision and can be challenged, I have to warn you that we have not seen much success with this and you do need to be prepared to go on to appeal if you really want it changed.

You also need to be aware that in requesting an MR you are opening your whole award to review, it's quite unlikely that it will impact on what you already have but it can and we do have members that have lost points and even an award at MR.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 3 months ago #225249 by worrywart
Ok thanks again.
I still don’t know whether I would appeal, I think the rest of the award was fair. She has acknowledged the burden of having 5 holes in my stomach and having to wear the thee stoma bags plus explained the difference between a fistula which is extremely difficult to manage and a stoma which, in my experience is not difficult to manage. She has also acknowledged why I find it difficult to accept what happened and I’m seeing a psychiatrist for depression and extreme anxiety.
I still don’t 8nderstand why I had no points for plann8 g a journe6 when I am extremely anxious Nd the thought of going out on my own even is overwhelming to say the least not just because I’m afraid if the bags leaking which they do all the time but because this experience ( catastrophic surgical complications ) has destroyed me,
I notice on this and another forum there are some people with brain tumours and episeosy who have been refused on the planning the journey yet others with anxiety who’ve been awarded it, there seems to be no consistency,
Sorry, rant over and thanks again

More
5 years 3 months ago #225564 by worrywart
Sorry to post again. I’m having different advice about appealing the loss of enhanced mobility. As I explained I had the 12 on transfer from DLA to PIP two years ago yet now on review I have lost the 4 points for planning a journey. I have now had the decision notice and it makes reference to the fact I went to London on a medical appointment and therefore could plan a journey etc, they failed to acknowledge I went with my husband to see an expert colorectal surgeon at the recommendation of my local surgeon, mybhusband was with me the whole time and I was a nervous wreck. It took me a week to recover from the journey.
Do you think it’s worth me mentioning this ?
Also on reading the assessment report which apart from the planning a journey is very fair, I noted last night when I read it again she has written I have an active social life! I have NO social life, I never go out socially or did she mean active as in my family come back and fore to my house. Is it worth mentioning this also? I’m scared of losing what I have but there are delicately some glaring anomalies in the assessment report.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.