× Members

esa back payment NOT at time of IB transfer

More
5 years 3 months ago #222618 by keeptrying
I was not eligible at the time, but have been since 2014
they have taken months and have finally decided they will NOT pay me the back pay as I did not tell them my financial situation had changed at the time

i had no reason to do so, of course
since i was not on an income related benefit

i am unsure how to challenge their decision

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #222622 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic esa back payment NOT at time of IB transfer
Walker

We have seen mixed results to this situation, the vast majority of members have been paid the missed money but some like you have been told that as they did not notify the DWP then it is not payable.

I'm afraid all you can do is request an MR and likely an appeal of the Decision, you might want to get trained face to face advice as you may need someone who can communicate with the DWP on your behalf, which we cannot do on the forum.

I think it is a reasonable argument that you cannot be expected to communicate a Change of Circumstances that you were not aware that you had to communicate..

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 3 months ago #222723 by keeptrying
Replied by keeptrying on topic esa back payment NOT at time of IB transfer
I requested the MR - that is what has been turned down
with them quoting regulations at me
I want to appeal but don't actually know what point of appeal to make

pretty sure will lose out on this
it seems exceedingly unfair that NO ONE knew about it, but those of us not eligible at the time get turned down
it is exhausting trying to deal with it and honestly wish they had never written in the first place

More
5 years 3 months ago #222734 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic esa back payment NOT at time of IB transfer
walker

Then your only way forward is to appeal their Decision, my thought is that you would be arguing that their Decision is perverse to refuse the additional payments on the basis that you did not notify them when you did not know that you needed to.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 3 months ago #222737 by keeptrying
unfortunately I think they have covered that base in one of their regulations about ignorance of the law being no excuse

it just seems utterly unfair that all those who missed out on this, get it if they were eligible at migration but not later - when NONE of us knew about it

I notified them about my change in living circumstances so they knew I was no longer with hub
and I knew about the savings rule for housing ben, which is why I contacted them when my savings had gone down to be eligible but I had no idea about anything else since I was NOT on an income related benefit from dwp
I was also very unwell at the time but I doubt that matters to them

no use moaning - since 7 months ago i knew nothing about any of this
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

More
5 years 3 months ago #222864 by keeptrying
am going to see a welfare rights person today, she said they have had another similar case

if there is anyone on here who is in the same position - i.e. eligible for esa backpay - but NOT at the point of IB transfer - I would be very interested to know if anyone has managed to get their payment
thank you

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.