× Members

inheritance on ESA and DLA HB

More
5 years 3 months ago #223749 by celia239
inheritance on ESA and DLA HB was created by celia239
My father sadly passed away a few months ago, he left no will, I had to send out death notices to all the banks via an online form www.deathnotificationservice.co.uk/DNS_Notification_fields.ofml

to my surprise a certain bank replied and i was asked to provide proff of my fathers death and who I was, a few weeks later I received 1500 in my bank which I allready had 3k saved.

I had a car that was 15 years old so purchased a newer 4 year old car and a washing machin/dryer as mine was not working correctly, I now have around 11 thousand left

I informed the Dwp and HB and produced paperwork for the new car and bank statements and have had my HB stopped and am on some limited form of Contribution based ESA, however nothing is changing or updating, im paying full rent and living off this 11k and DLA/contribution based ESA.

I have been waiting from early December for both DWP and HB to move forwards with a decision? not sure what they need to decide, but paying full rent/prescriptions which will include osstomy apliance i will be spending over 1k a month easy

not sure if this is normal procedure or if i am suposed to be on some limited help with both incombe and HB, each time i chase this up I get the impression that inheritance is a tool to punish people that are on benifits.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #223772 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic inheritance on ESA and DLA HB
celiahasabag

I assume you received £15,000 not the £1500 in your post and that your HB and ESA(IR) have been suspended rather than stopped.

I'm afraid this is normal procedure, they need to be satisfied that the purchases that you made were not done with the intention of your continuing to receive benefits. I would be very surprised if this is a problem but these Decisions can take some time.

You don't say how long it is since your benefits were suspended but if it is more than a month then you might want to consider contacting your MP to see if the can get the Decision prioritised.

Contacting your MP

You can get help with your health costs

www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-with-health-costs/

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 3 months ago #223774 by celia239
Replied by celia239 on topic inheritance on ESA and DLA HB
I notified them around 7th december, took pperwork into a job centre shortly after which they say never arrived, i then had to send it again recorded delivery which they now say has arrived start of January, it has been nealy one month yes since i first notified them but they claim the paperwork never arrived also not sure if the christmas period is to be taken into account.

More
5 years 3 months ago #223780 by Gordon

celiahasabag wrote: I notified them around 7th december, took pperwork into a job centre shortly after which they say never arrived, i then had to send it again recorded delivery which they now say has arrived start of January, it has been nealy one month yes since i first notified them but they claim the paperwork never arrived also not sure if the christmas period is to be taken into account.

You nee to give them a month from when they received your paperwork.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 2 months ago #225358 by celia239
Replied by celia239 on topic inheritance on ESA and DLA HB
Hello, I recently received the decision on my car purchase for 7k as acceptable purchase but I am being kept on contribution based I am not certain if this is correct? each time I call up I get different versions of the situation. the most recent conversaion told me I am being kept on contribution based esa because its the higher paid version rather than that incombe related side.

Also I'm struggling with the correct version regarding when do I send DWP statements from my bank? some advisers at DWP esa support line say when I reach 6 thousand, other advisers say every time your money reduces by £250 and others say once a month? no one is giving me a solid answer leaving me frustrated and confused what to do.

I need a new couch as mine is old and damaged I am looking at new couches but find myself struggling what one to buy , the one i find most comfortable are the most expensive , should i opt for a cheap uncomfortable couch for fear of being penalised if i buy the comfortable expensive version?

More
5 years 2 months ago #225383 by Gordon
Silentio

The deductions from any potential ESA(IR) payment are based on every £250 you have in excess of the £6000 so in principle, it would every time your savings are reduced by £250.

However, this won't be relevant until the deduction is less than the amount of ESA(IR). I don't know your circumstances but the minimum ESA(IR) would be £16.40 at current rates which would require you to have savings of less than £10,250 (£6000 + 17 x £250). You can get a better idea by putting your information into one of the online benefit calculators.

www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: celia239

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.