× Members

Being forced from PIP to attendance allowance

More
5 years 2 months ago #224021 by VWA
I've just received the standard letter telling me that my current PIP runs out on 11th April and to ring the 0800 number.
When I rang I was told by the DWP staff member that I couldn't renew my PIP claim because of my age and would have to claim Attendance Allowance (And no doubt start the whole fiasco of form filling again)

I have been on DLA/PIP since i was about 62; I turn 70 later this year.

I understood that I would be able to continue to claim PIP for as long as my conditions persist (They are never going to get better).

Is the information that the DWP have just given me correct?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #224027 by Gordon
VWA

No, it's not, they are treating it as a new claim and it isn't it's a renewal, they also don't have the authority to refuse a claim, only a Decision Maker can do this.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: VWA

More
5 years 2 months ago #224039 by VWA
Just been back on to them. A different staff member - same reaction -advised to go for Attendance Allowance. (effectively cutting my money by £100 every 4 weeks)
I insisted that as this is a renewal and not a new claim that the information they were giving me was wrong. I also said that I knew that only a decision maker could refuse my claim.
The staff member then climbed down and took my details and at the end of the conversation promised to send me within 2 weeks a PIP 2 form to complete.

I suspect that as two different staff tried to fob me off, this may be a nasty new ploy that they are trying out!
I'll update as my claim progresses
Thanks for the help.

More
5 years 2 months ago #224040 by Gordon
VWA

Renewals are quite unusual but not that unusual that they should not know the process.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 2 months ago #224503 by VWA
They have sent me the 40 page form PIP1043, which starts off "Thank you for starting your claim".
It's not a start: the tribunal that I won awarded PIP for 3yrs. My conditions get very gradually worse, and as far as I was aware the PIP award would be reviewed at the end of the 3yrs (April 2019.
Should I be filling in the shorter "How have your conditions changed " form?

More
5 years 2 months ago #224519 by Gordon
VWA

Renewals are done using the PIP2 form, there is only one version despite its use for different things.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.