× Members

Assessment

More
5 years 2 days ago #229359 by Rosserd
Assessment was created by Rosserd
Hi all, I would appreciate any advice please.

I’ have been called for an assessment for ESA even though it was previously awarded 2 years ago under rule 35. Does anyone know why I would be recalled for an assessment when rule 35 would always apply? I expected the DWP to automatically award ESA because my circumstances aren’t going to change. My previous award was granted on appeal. It stated
Claimant is significantly limited. As a result schedule 2 descriptors are satisfied. If claimant is found capable of work related activities, this would result in substantial risk of deterioration and injury to her physical health, arising from the multi-system symptoms, arising from a ehlers danlos syndrome and a substantial risk of deterioration in her mental health. Although I was only awarded for two years by the tribunal I did not expect to be recalled, purely because my condition is degenerative and certainly isn’t going to improve.

They’ve also insisted I travel to an assessment centre rather than grant a home visit. I was thinking of ringing the DWP and asking why they would re-assess me based in the previous ruling? Surely this is a waste of their time if nothing’s going to change with my health? Can I challenge the fact I’ve been called for an assessment.

Any advice, experiences would be appreciated?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 days ago #229378 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Assessment
Daniel

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I'm afraid Regulation 35 does not exempt a claimant from being requested to attend an assessment, there is also the problem that there is no assumption of on-going disability for the Substantial Risk Regulations, you need to show that you meet the criteria with up to date evidence each time you are assessed.

For a home assessment, you are going to need a letter from your GP explaining in unambiguous terms why you cannot attend at Maximus's offices.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosserd

More
5 years 2 days ago #229384 by Rosserd
Replied by Rosserd on topic Assessment
Gordon I was going on information provided on the following links regarding re-assessment. Are you saying the information is incorrect? :(

www.actionforme.org.uk/news/exclusion-fr...a-criteria-released/

researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/do...BP-7820/CBP-7820.pdf

More
5 years 2 days ago - 5 years 2 days ago #229406 by Gordon
Daniel

No, the information is correct but I am afraid you have misread it. For example;

"This means that if you have accessed the Support Group via Regulation 35(2)(b) only, you may not be exempt from re-assessments."

Also, the exemption, if applied, only does so after another WCA has been done.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 5 years 2 days ago by Gordon.

More
5 years 2 days ago #229420 by Rosserd
Replied by Rosserd on topic Assessment
Thanks Gordon

That is confusing when you consider it’s possible to qualify for the support group based on regulation 35 without scoring points for the descriptors. Particularly when someone suffers from a life long condition that’s only going to get worse. Surely it’s a waste of time and money when you consider the costs involved in re-assessing people.

The regulation states the claimant would be at substantial risk if found capable of work. The mere fact that a person suffers a lifelong degenerative disability isn’t going to change. Particularly if the original award was made on that basis.

This is all so stressful I’m seriously struggling!

More
5 years 2 days ago #229437 by Gordon
Daniel

How much support will your Gp give you?

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.