× Members

ESA/PIP Severe Disability Premium Backpay?

More
4 years 11 months ago #230910 by MattS91
Hello I was recently sent a letter from the DWP asking to fill out a form to see if I was eligible for claiming for SDP. I have been on income-related ESA and PIP since 2014. I have been living with my parents so thought I wasn't eligible, but upon checking I've now noticed that if the person you're living with has a qualifying benefit which my parent does(Attendance Allowance) then you should be allowed SDP. My parent has been receiving AA since 2015 and my benefits haven't changed since then does this mean I should be backdated pay till when my parent started receiving the qualifying benefit? I phoned the DWP yesterday and we filled out the SDP form over the phone but they didn't mention whether the person I was living with had a qualifying benefit they just stated his name will they know he gets AA? Any help is much appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #230927 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA/PIP Severe Disability Premium Backpay?
Housebound

Is it parent or parents as you use both? If the latter then both would need to have a qualifying benefit.

The Premium should be backdated to the date when you had ESA and PIP and your parent started to receive AA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 11 months ago #230929 by MattS91
Replied by MattS91 on topic ESA/PIP Severe Disability Premium Backpay?
Hello Gordon, the person I live with is my grandfather he started claiming AA since 2015. Does the living with part class as partner or child living with parents? I am above 25 sorry if sounds like a stupid question. Also when I rung the ESA line they said they can pull information from a database to see which benefits people have active

More
4 years 11 months ago #230941 by Gordon
Housebound

"Living with " means another adult, related or not.

Yes, they can check whether your grandfather has a qualifying benefit.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 11 months ago #230943 by MattS91
Replied by MattS91 on topic ESA/PIP Severe Disability Premium Backpay?
My grandfather gets an underlying entitlement to Carers Allowance for me, I'm guessing its not classed as the full title of Carers Allowance so I maybe they won't count it against me?

More
4 years 11 months ago #230944 by Gordon
Housebound

The CA would have to be paid for it to prevent you from being paid the SD Premium, as it isn't then it should not be an issue.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.