× Members

Contibution/income related ESA and savings

More
4 years 11 months ago #231159 by kez
Hi Gordon/all

Ive just gone to a wer'e reviewing your benifits and circumstances meetin with a compliance officer at my local JC. This was not under caution or recorded and the compliance officer was not a horrible man.

They have discovered 2 ISA's in my name,one with £1000 and the other 12.5k (old mortgage endowment) in it the lateer i was not aware of . My brother is a financial advisor nd he deals with all my financees. Anyhow he told me he had invested it as a top up to my pension and thought it would be better in a stocks and shares isa which i had totally forgotten about as it was opened 5 or more years ago and im suffering deppression as well as physical problems. The other one was a saving i put aside for my child as it was agreed with my x wife to do this in part payment to maintenance.

Im in the support group and have been for nearly 2yrs. i get contribution based topped up with income based.

My question is do any amounts over £6000 affect just the income related or both parts of my ESA award. income based part was added ion 21st July 17

The compliance officer also wrote down any outstanding credit card debts and a loan hoping it will be taken into account which i hope. Any money in my bank accounts after all DD are taken at end of month mortgage ect will effectivly leave me with nothing left. The benifit officer told me i need to reduce my isa and did give me ways to do it lol. but if i do it will affect me at pension age, so im dammed if i do and dammed if i dont.

I never new life on benifits since going on this approx 2.5yrs ago and am 51 know lol
PANICK MODE

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #231164 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Contibution/income related ESA and savings
Kez

The ESA(CB) component of your payments is not affected by your savings but the ESA(IR) one is.

If your total savings and assets are in excess of £6000 then there will be a reduction of your ESA(IR) payments, if the total exceeds £16,000 then they will be stopped, see

Asset and savings rule for ESA(IR)

From your post, there is going to be a recoverable overpayment of your ESA(IR) and possibly a Civil Penalty.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 11 months ago #231174 by kez
Hi Gordon,

If I understand correct ESA(CB) based is £110.75 so my IR would be £37.45

If I have calculated correctly what would be my approx overpayment for say £37.45 IR say for 23months (from the 21st July 17 to 21st June 19 taking into account time for them to sort it) or is there a calculator you could give

My problem is the stress of not only my condition bit also have a disabled daughter who can be very challenging to say the least. I cant even remember what I did yesterday tbh yet alone 5 or more years ago. Added to that my brother keeps my paperwork and he's in England an im in Wales lol so not as if I have it to hand lol

Grateful for any advice please

More
4 years 11 months ago #231189 by Gordon
Kez

The current SG rate for ESA(CB) is £111.65, I think you have the 2018 rates.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 10 months ago #231194 by kez
Hi Gordon Thank you for info so far

Is there a calculation as such for iR part as I dont see the £1 in £250 as working when someone gets dual EAS CB/IR payment when the IR is £37

be grateful if you could advice of one if there is and maybe put it up on this site for members in the same situation as me

More
4 years 10 months ago #231196 by Gordon
Kez

So your ESA(IR) payment will be reduced,

So as an example; if you currently get £37/week of ESA)IR) and you had £7000 in savings then the ESA(IR) will be reduced to £33/week and if you had more than £15,250 in assets and savings then your ESA(IR) would not be payable but you would still receive the ESA(CB).

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: kez

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.