× Members

ESA on to UC... No choice?

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #231388 by Oscarab
ESA on to UC... No choice? was created by Oscarab
Have been told that if I make a new claim for HB etc., I have to make a claim for UC and this means that my ESA will have to be revisited and move onto UC.. is this correct?

I was told that I did not have to move onto UC if I did not want to and could remain on ESA.

I have been messed about terrible by the UC people and I am worried about my ESA being stopped before any payment is received from UC.. it seems no-one really knows whats what or what applies.

I have been on ESA for many years and never had to supply a Doctors Note as I would attend 6 monthly reviews or so - yet moving onto UC I am told I need to supply a Dr's Note!

Can I stay on ESA instead of having to go through all this hassle and change?

Thank you.

If they are our rights, why do we have to fight for them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #231415 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA on to UC... No choice?
Oscarab

If your ESA includes the Severe Disability Premium, it will show as "money because you are severely disabled" on the annual Entitlement letters, then you are barred from claiming UC at this time and can make a claim for Housing Benefit.

If you are not receiving the Premium and need to make a new claim for HB then it can only be done through a claim for UC and this will necessitate your ESA being moved across as well.

It should not be necessary for you to provide a Fit Note if you have an existing award of ESA but it can take several weeks for the award to be moved to UC, this also means that there will be an overlap of the payments for ESA and UC so be aware that if there is an overpayment that it will be recoverable from your UC.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #231563 by Oscarab
Replied by Oscarab on topic ESA on to UC... No choice?
Thank you - I suppose I have to go along with their request for the fit note? I have been on ESA for years and only in November last year did I lose the SDP due to having to be emergency rehoused because the LA failed on safeguarding me.

Will I be worse of now on UC?

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #231571 by Gordon
Oscarab

If you are in the WRAG then it should be the same, if the SG then you will actually receive more under UC then ESA. Don't forget that UC is paid monthly.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 11 months ago #232479 by Oscarab
Replied by Oscarab on topic ESA on to UC... No choice?
Please help as I am totally confused!

I have had to go from ESA WRAG to UC and they are no help at all.

Under UC I am hugely worse off - I am only getting the standard rate plus the standard Incapability Payment not the Enhanced WRAG payment - is this right or wrong? On trying to read through the info I should be getting the enhanced level as I was previously in WRAG but I don't seem to be able to get this over to the UC people.

Can you tell me what is right?

Thank ypu for all your help

More
4 years 11 months ago #232502 by Gordon
Oscarab

Your WRAG award should be transferred automatically to UC but it is a manual process and the UC and ESA departments seem to have problems talking to each other, I would contact your JC+ advisor and also put an entry on your journal that your WRAG award should be included.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: Oscarab

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.