× Members

Query about PIP & Mobility

More
4 years 11 months ago #234008 by Kate
Query about PIP & Mobility was created by Kate
I have tried several times to post, but keep losing what I write, so if more than one posts finally shows up, this could be the reason. Anyway my question is, I was on lifetime DLA award until I had to move over to PIP last year in November. I lost my high rate mobility component & was left on low care side. Since my first claim for DLA, I have never bothered to try for a higher care benefit, even though my health has decreased a LOT. To where I had to stop driving, & now live in sheltered hosing with my husband, who has to do so much for me now, even has to pull me up to get me out of bed.. As well as wash & dress me. He has to remind me to take my meds, I had an MRI last November’s but didn’t have the results at time of my assessment. I can NOT walk unaided, so seldom leave the house. This has been going on since Sept 2017. My symptoms seemed to fit in with me having Parkinson’s or late onset MS. However the diagnoses I was given was onset dementia. During the assessment, I was on my mobility Scooter, drove into the assessors office, was helped off my scooter by my husband, who also had my crutches ready for me. I stumbled slowly the 3 steps it too for me to sit on a more comfortable chair..Needless to say, when my claim acceptance was sent ot as to what I was entitled to, I lost the high rate mobility, as was awarded 10 points instead of the 12 required. Questions asked during my f2f, were could I go out on my own, I relied no not anymore, as I need help onto my scooter & again off it. I said plus I have went out on my scooter & did not recognise where I was, this took sometime to come to me, as most things do now. So I would never attempt to leave the house on my own...Now I am under the dementia care nurses, one told me a couple of weeks ago when she came out to see me, & she asked about my benefits, what I received. She said that she was going to refer me to Care in Fife as there are a few things I need in the house, plus I should be getting enhanced on both parts of PIP. I got a call a few days ago from Care in Fife, the lady on the phone asked how long I had got my PIP award for? I said 14MONTHS I am due to be assessed or a renewal in January 2020. I did ask & sent in a mandatory reconsideration, as the assessor lied on so many things, especially to me being able to WALK more than the 20Metres..I was able to cook myself bathe myself & dress myself. I could do my own shopping, I have never done our shopping since 2017...I had to show my husband how to use his card in the cash machines, as up until 2017 I ran EVERYTHING to do with our household finances. Now I can’t remember in numbers or telephone numbers & nor will I go into public places because of how sore I am & worse the jerky wobbly legs that will just not behave...And getting back to the lady on the phone from Care in Fife, she said that as I m OVER retirement age, I will NOT get the Enhanced mobility component back, as the DWP cuts people of from claiming @ 65. I am 70yrs of age this year..But surely it is ONLY New claims that they have a cut of date for? My mandatory reply was They agreed with the assessor so my award & length of award stayed the same..I know I should have appealed at the time, but was so sill I just could not put myself through another battle with DWP.. But when my 14months is up, will it be possible for me to get my awards changed? As this lady has also said she will fill my PIP form in for me when I get it sent out. But I don’t think I would want her doing this for me, as she doesn’t seem the sympathetic sort at all. Even for the care side, she said to qualify for enhanced on that. I have to need 24/7 care, And never to be left alone...I am not sure that is right either, but the reason we are in sheltered housing now, is so that my husband can still enjoy a game of bowls go to the shops, as I wear a pendant alarm around my neck & the warden responds right away, should I need help, which of course I have done. But NOW Husband won’t leave the house till I am in bed... As he knows I can get out of it on my own. Even though I have an electric bed, it gets me up to a sitting position. But unfortunately my legs won’t work for me to swing around & get onto my feet... I have no social life, nor do I wish to be able to get out & about now, my mood is very low I would say I am depressed due to the deterioration in my body letting me down & the diagnosis of onset dementia does cause my all sorts of stress now for what lies ahead of me..We are without a car now since losing my high rate mobility, so for all appointments we have to get a taxi.. I have many appointments in any one month. So to get our mobility car back is something I would fight for at next assessment... I just need to KNOW if it IS possible to get it back. As so many posts I have read here, are from people retired who like me have been changed over to PIP & got the enhanced mobility.. Or do I have it all wrong?
Kate

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #234039 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Query about PIP & Mobility
Kate

I have answered on your previous post, see

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum/10-dla-e...sults/128751-dla-pip

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.