× Members

Went from standard to enhanceded Daily Living.

More
4 years 5 months ago #240237 by supergreatgran
Replied by supergreatgran on topic DWP omitted points for Daily Living - request MR?
Hi Creature, I am so pleased that you were successful. Can you tell us what you did to get the full amount? I am going through my claim and wondering how you tackled the wrong assessment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #240706 by Creature
Hello SupergreatGran:

Sorry to take so long in replying to your request. I am thinking about the best way to answer your question. I will post my answer in the next couple hours.

Creature

More
4 years 5 months ago #240714 by Creature
Replied by Creature on topic Went from standard to enhanceded Daily Living.
Hello Supergreatgran:

I have included my Mandatory Reconsideration submission at the bottom of this reply.

After I received the DWP’s letter informing me that I had been awarded 11 points for the Daily Living component and 12 points for the Mobility component, I requested a copy of the assessor's report from the DWP.

Everyone who has had an assessment is entitled to receive this report. I received it about a week later and was able to see all of the assessor’s inaccuracies and omissions. There were 3 inaccuracies and 2 omissions in total.

The DWP tell you that they must receive your completed Mandatory Reconsideration within a month of the date of their letter, but they don’t tell you that you will lose about a week of that month in the time that it takes for the Post Office to deliver it to your home.

After completing and sending my Mandatory Reconsideration submission back to the DWP, it took them another six weeks to reply. Of course they didn’t budge on their initial award of 11 points for my Daily Living. The good news though is that once you receive a reply to your Mandatory Reconsideration you are then able to move forward with the Appeal for a Tribunal.

I had no new evidence to add to the Tribunal Appeal request, so I just sent a copy of my original Mandatory Reconsideration submission as the Tribunal Appeal request.

After 2 months I received a letter from the DWP informing me that they had decided not to go ahead with the Tribunal. I had succeeded in getting the enhanced award for Daily Living.

The DWP increased my points under Washing and Bathing from 3 to 4 points, but I have no idea why I did not receive more points for the other sections.

I wish you much success with your application, Supergreatgran, and hope that my reply is helpful to you and anyone else that cares to read it.

All my very best to you. Sincerely, Creature.

Here is my letter to the DWP:
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………
Dear Sir/Madam: Re: Home PIP assessment on xx xxxx 2019

Although I have been awarded 11 points for the standard rate of the Daily Living component, I have been informed by Supporting People/Housing Related Support that I am eligible for the enhanced rate of the Daily Living component due to the assessor’s inaccuracies and omissions. As such I am requesting a Mandatory Reconsideration. Please see my reasons for a reconsideration as follows:
(1) Under Taking Nutrition, page 6 of Report Form - PA4 V3, Mr Xxxxxx states: “He reports that he does not have any difficulties eating or drinking.”

This is not true.

As stated in my PIP application:
When I have painful lesions on my tongue, caused by the side effects of my painkillers, it is very difficult for me to eat. On difficult days my care provider has to prompt me to eat, but makes it easier for me by giving me soup and a smoothie straw to drink it with, which makes it less painful to swallow.
(2) Under Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition, page 6 of Report Form - PA4 V3, Mr. Xxxxxx completely omitted any reference to the 5 and a 1/2 hours of supervision for my weekly therapies.

I have 3 colonics per week in the afternoon with each taking taking 90 minutes. I have 4 enema treatments per week in the morning with each taking 15 minutes. These therapies are critical for the removal of impacted faecal matter lodged high up in my large intestine caused by the dehydrating effect of the painkillers that I must take. Without these therapies I would end up with a blocked bowel and toxic hepatitis of the liver which would require my having to be hospitalised. Without my carer’s help, I would not be able to complete these therapies on my own. When my colon is badly blocked, my carer has to stay in my spare bedroom in case of accidents or emergencies.
(3) Under Washing and bathing, page 6 of Report Form - PA4 V3, Mr Xxxxxx states: “He has difficulty getting in/out of the bath to use the shower over the bath, washing lower half of body and washing hair every day because of his level of pain, weakness and restricted movement in his spine, upper and lower limbs; with associated restrictions bending, raising his arms and poor grip. He manages this task on his own but it takes him a long time and results in exacerbations of pain and fatigue.

This is not true.
I cannot manage this task on my own.

My care provider has to help me into position on the bath transfer bench under the shower. Once I am in position she washes my head, neck, upper body, back and front, down to my waste. I use my long handled sponge to clean my private parts and upper thighs on my own, then she washes my lower legs and feet. I shower 3 times per week with my carer’s help after my colonic, but due to the limitations of my right side neck injury caused by the deterioration of my C6 and C7 vertebrae as well as the atrophy of my left upper trapezius and twisted ribs in my back at left side locations of T1 and T4 vertebrae, I need assistance to be able to wash my body between the shoulders and waist.

Original points awarded: 3 Extra point awarded after my Tribunal request.
(4) Under Managing toilet needs or incontinence, page 6 of Report Form - PA4 V3, Mr Xxxxxx states: “He reports that he does not have any difficulty cleaning himself after using the toilet. He has bowel incontinence every day because of incontinence and faecal leakage and he reports that he does not have any difficulty managing his incontinence.”

This is not true.
I have great difficulty cleaning myself after using the toilet and managing my incontinence.

I must use a long-reach bottom-wipe between my legs to clean myself after a bowel movement since I am unable to turn my body to wipe myself. I experience incontinence every day and must use incontinence pads day and night. I use a Bardia urine collection bag which is located by the side of my bed, and a hospital bed pan when I cannot get out of bed due to my extreme pain which my carer helps me with.
(5) Under Communicating verbally, page 6 of Report Form - PA4 V3, Mr Xxxxxx states: “He is able to converse appropriately with family and friends face to face and on the telephone everyday using one hearing aid.”

While the assessor has acknowledged that I require the use of one hearing aid to communicate appropriately, which I have worn for over 4 years, he does not award any points for this fact, even though the Government states that this (the designation of 2 points for claimants who fit the criteria of descriptor B) “Applies to claimants who require a hearing aid in order to hear to an acceptable standard….” …………………………………………………………………………………………………………
The following user(s) said Thank You: an ex nurse, BIS, Whirly, SUE C C

More
4 years 5 months ago #240806 by supergreatgran
Replied by supergreatgran on topic Went from standard to enhanceded Daily Living.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply in detail It is very helpful for me and I'm sure for many others who are reading. I have just been for my assessment and am thinking that I will probably need to ask for a reconsideration, most people do seem to have to correct some things. I'm glad you didn't have to go to appeal, it would have been more stress you can do without!
The following user(s) said Thank You: mejustme

More
4 years 5 months ago #240814 by Creature
Replied by Creature on topic Went from standard to enhanceded Daily Living.
My absolute pleasure, SuperGreatGran.

I think when the DWP becomes aware that benefit recipients are not afraid to challenge their decision-making, they buckle a bit. But that doesn't mean that they won't try to put you off.

When I called them to ask about applying for the MR, I was told that if I lost my appeal I could lose everything, which meant 11 points for Daily Living and 12 points for Mobility. The DWP will try everything to scare people away from any form of challenge, so please be ready for their tactics.

As well as applying for an MR over the phone, I also asked for a copy of the assessor's written report regarding my home assessment. Once the DWP realised that I knew that I could ask for this report, they falsely claimed that the assessor had reported that I had refused to comply with some of his simple requests, such as turning my head left and right. He had written no such thing.

The DWP it seems are now completely absent of any moral compass, so just be prepared for their intimidation. If you are rock solid on your facts, and have done some research into the best wording for your MR/Tribunal Appeal request, then you will lose nothing. The decision makers at the Appeal Tribunal are not stupid or mendacious, even if the DWP are, so stick to your guns and speak your truth.

All my best, Creature.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.