× Members

Head Injury (TBI) DLA to PIP

More
4 years 7 months ago #237678 by KTM
Head Injury (TBI) DLA to PIP was created by KTM
Anybody know anyone who gone through this as a relatively well walking wounded person but one suffering the residual and hidden injuries of a head injury TBI? Also virtually managing their own condition for decades without much medical input apart from occasional various GP visits so evidence is virtually nil. I only get the mobility element so am miffed that that I have to claim for things that I don't really wish to claim for. Having got my forms it's hard to make a case not to score nil points on the motability element and as it's also very difficult to split the physical and mental disabilities as the form wants because for me, one greatly impacts on the other. It's certainly having a negative effect on my health that I didn't expect. The prospect of an assessment with some under qualified person isn't a pleasant proposition either (especially Q9 which isn't pleasant for me and could lend me to say "that's it I've had enough of this" - I know the consequences of that). I thought that I'd make a transitional claim but looking at the questions and descriptors I'm thinking what's the point and do I really need to put myself through that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #237680 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Head Injury (TBI) DLA to PIP
KTM

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

Have you looked at our PIP Claim guide?

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

If you have any specific questions come back to the forum and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: SUE C C

More
4 years 7 months ago #237727 by KTM
Replied by KTM on topic Head Injury (TBI) DLA to PIP
Thanks Gordon. I signed up and got the useful guides. For me though, when you know that to the visual eye things don't seem too bad and you don't personally focus your disablities then this process is so negative whereas DLA was enabling IMO. It's been several decades since my TBI and I've just been managed by my GP over that time so evidence is scarce as I say. I keep flip flopping by the day but the negative effect that it's having on my mental health and general wellbeing is leading me to think that my healthiest option (short term if not long) is not to complete the process or just withdraw my application.

So no specfic question

More
4 years 7 months ago #237729 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Head Injury (TBI) DLA to PIP
Hi KTM

Only you can decide whether or not to continue you with your application. I will say that I know several people like you who have had very little medical input over a number of years (even decades) and it has not stopped them making a successful PIP application.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KTM

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #237730 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Head Injury (TBI) DLA to PIP
Hi KTM

We know the PIP form looks daunting and does put many people off from claiming. As BIS has stated below many people claim PIP with little or no medical evidence, especially if they only see their GP due to mental health issues, such as anxiety, depression, stress.

In completing the PIP form I would say take your time, if you are unsure what to put then raise the question on this forum, that is what we are here for. You will get replies from other forum members who are going through the same as you.

You are not alone, although it can feel like it at times.

Start a day diary if you do not already have one, detailing the hights and lows of the day, most doctors do not know what happens on a day to day basis with their patients, a day diary can have a lot of weight at a tribunal.

Gary

Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Gary.

More
4 years 7 months ago #237731 by SUE C C
Replied by SUE C C on topic Head Injury (TBI) DLA to PIP
Hello KTM.

I’ve been ploughing my way through my first DLA to PIP application, I had to smile when I received my ‘ Invitation ‘ normally invitations are for something generally a lot nicer than the 40 page PIP questionnaire.

I’m sure you might have thought of this but, might there be a Traumatic Brain Injury organisation that might be able to offer some support and advice while you’re going through this process? I’ve had a very quick look and there are some out there, if nothing else they may be able to confirm how other TBI folk have got on with applying for benefits.

Other than that I’m just trying to follow the advice of the B&W team, so that’s why I’ve spent the last 2 weeks slowly working my way through the questionnaire, using the PIP guide at every step of the way. I’ve reached question 13b. so far, and coming back here to read as many posts as I can and asking any question when I need more help. If nothing else, the B&W site shows you that your not alone in going through this process. You never know, in time this dehumanising process may even have to change if enough people say what they have had to go through in order to be paid the disability benefits they are entitled to. Chin up Sue.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.