× Members

PIP "educated" so years later equally capable

More
4 years 6 months ago #238795 by Cat in a hat
Replied by Cat in a hat on topic PIP "educated" so years later equally capable
Hi Alex, I'm in a similar situ. I have Narcolepsy and Cataplexy. very severe and happens daily. I almost drowned in the bath years ago and had a wet room adaptation. Your appeal almost mirrors mine. I was also scored 2 points for being able to use a microwave (although the descriptors say 'cook and prepare simple meal from FRESH ingredients'. Having been only 3 points off getting a daily living award, those extra 2 points would have helped enormously. The adaptation didnt seem to maatter in the DM assessment in all honesty, despite it being years ago and done for a lifetime condition that has no cure!! I am awaiting a tribunal date and wish you the best of luck. Like you, they make a point of saying I am 'university educated' ; as though that somehow makes physical/cognitive disabilities easier to manage? Best of luck. Best wishes, Cat

Think like a proton, always positive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #238798 by Cat in a hat
In addition to my earlier message Alex, I forgot to mention, that even having a brain aneurysm and two subsequent strokes, they said my memory was good and I wasnt anxious (having made a point of saying I went through formal education and completed college and uni degree). Their argument in my case, is that I have not been referred to a 'memory clinic' (as if the NHS can afford this!) I barely had any follow up after my two strokes (apparently because secondary to aneurysm) so how you are supposed to find evidence of cognitive difficulties, I really do not know. I can only advise that you ask someone who knows you, write a statement on your behalf to submit to tribunal. Best of luck. Cat

More
4 years 6 months ago #238804 by Gordon

Cat in a hat wrote: I was also scored 2 points for being able to use a microwave (although the descriptors say 'cook and prepare simple meal from FRESH ingredients'.

A microwave does not preclude you from using fresh ingredients, many (many) years ago I cooked a roast dinner in the microwave.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 6 months ago #238827 by Cat in a hat
haha fair point Gordon. However, the vegetables still need to be washed and sliced/peeled with sharp knives etc. This can be problematic for a person whose consciousness is impaired due to Epilepsy, Narcolepsy or other medical reason.
Moreover, the fact is that one must still handle hot food, even with a microwave. So many reasons for being unable to use a conventional oven and/or hob, are still applicable with microwaves. (In my opinion and having sustained injuries from both types of cooking)

More
4 years 6 months ago #238829 by Gordon
Cat in a hat

I've not suggested that these issues are not relevant to using a microwave as they are for using a hob just that it does not preclude the use of fresh ingredients.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.