× Members

Assesment Report

More
4 years 3 months ago #243127 by Bud
Assesment Report was created by Bud
Hi all

Had my assessment last week, the assessor was very jolly to a point which was scary! I requested my assessment report which arrived today, I got no points at all. I was hoping for at least 8 for points for daily living, & points for Planning & Following a journey, as although I do go out alone locally on rare occasions, but I never go further afield alone. There's quite a few things wrong with the report so I was thinking of writing a letter to put it right, obviously without criticising the assessor. Also I'm awaiting my medical history as I sort of expected this. Any input will be gratefully received, thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #243128 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Assesment Report
Hi Bud

The first stage to challenging a Decision is for you to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, this needs to be done in writing to the DWP, within one month of the Decision, to the office that dealt with your claim, have a look at our PIP MR & Appeal guide for details of the process, the PIP area also has template letters that you can use to make the request with.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Your primary task is to show that you meet the criteria, there are many reasons you may have failed, you need to address each of these but don't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless you can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

"the assessor recorded that I walked 50m, I did but they have failed to document that I had to stop every 10m for a rest due to breathlessness"

than their opinions

"based on my observations of the claimant walking I believe that they can reliably walk more than 200m.

Going Out
The Going Out activity looks at three things.

Planning a route - this is primarily a cognitive or sensory (e.g. blindness) activity. You are being asked about the problems you would have with working out how to get from one place to another, you do not need to be able to follow the route that you are planning.

Undertaking a Journey - this is to do with mental health issues such as agoraphobia and social anxiety and is concerned with you leaving the house to go somewhere, they will be interested in the things that stop you doing this. You need to show that you would suffer "overwhelming psychological distress" to meet the criteria.

Following a route - This activity about the problems you would have navigating a route. So are there problems; cognitive, sensory or mental health issues that would prevent you from doing this? This is different from undertaking a journey, in fact, if you cannot undertake a journey then you will not score points for following one and vice versa.

If you need more help - do come back and ask.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bud

More
4 years 3 months ago #243169 by Bud
Replied by Bud on topic Assesment Report
Hi

At what point could I say that the report was flawed & that it cannot be replied upon, could you give an example please? Could I use the fact that the assessor described an operation to remove cancer as a scan which was all clear? Also wrong dosage of meds, & the mention of another
illness that doesn’t exist? I did explain this at the assessment too.
Would I be assessed again if this was the case?
Thanks.

More
4 years 3 months ago #243170 by Bud
Should I begin by saying where I thought I would score points. For example I said that I used aids & in some cases needed assistance, yet I got no points at all. For Planning & Following a journey the assessor said that I don’t go anywhere unfamiliar, yet they gave me no points for this as they also said that I felt safe & secure whilst out with my partner. That was never discussed. I very occasionally go local but that’s not the majority of the time.
DiI mention the things that weren’t true, either because the assessor got them wrong or made them up?
Should I ring them up today, try & get a quick letter in the post before I get my final letter saying no award, or just work on it whilst I am waiting for my letter,,then go for MR?
Sorry so many questions. Thanks.

More
4 years 3 months ago #243188 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Assesment Report
Bud

There is a small window for you to write to the Decision Maker but you will need to be quick.

Understand that the assessor is offering an opinion when they say that you can do the PIP activities, tackling these head-on is unlikely to be successful, you need to show that the basis of that opinion is founded on incorrect information, so try and refer to your evidence to undermine what they have said.

Also, try and stick to issues that lead to your scoring points, I often hear members referring to the assessors spelling, as an example, whilst it may show a lack of professionalism, raising it as an issue isn't going to help you get an award.

Make sure that you understand the criteria that you are being assessed against you can put the best case forward that is possible but you won't score points if you do not meet the PIP Descriptors.

Lastly, make sure that your letter makes it clear that you are not requesting a Mandatory Reconsideration but you reserve the right to do so once a Decision has been made.

You say that you need to use aids for some of the activities, did you make it clear that you cannot complete the activity without the use of those aids?

You don't mention any cognitive or sensory issues so I assume you are relying on your mental health issues in regard to your Going Out, to score you will need to show that you would suffer "overwhelming psychological distress" if you were required to follow a route to somewhere that you are not familiar with, can you do this?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bud

More
4 years 3 months ago #243195 by Bud
It’s all done now, so I shall get that in the post tomorrow. I’ve rang DWP to ask them to hold on & wait for my letter. I’m still awaiting medical history from Dr too.
Yes going out is due to MH. I’ve always got just 4 points for this whilst on PIP, but after looking at the guides & thinking that I have a better understanding of them, I feel that I should be getting something for that too.
Thanks Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.