× Members

My son dla to pip transfer

More
4 years 2 months ago #243259 by Anisty
My son dla to pip transfer was created by Anisty
Hello, this is my first post here - wish i had found you sooner as i have already returned my son's pip application and just filled it out myself in my role as his appointee.

A bit about my son: he is 21yrs old, has history of very slow speech, language and motor development but went to a mainsteam primary and secondary school with support in place.

He was awarded dla at around 3yrs of age and that was given for award periods of 3 yrs until he was 16. Then they gave him a 5yr award which runs until april 2020.

When he was young, his difficulies were global (still are) and it wasnt until he was 13yrs of age he was finally diagnosed with autistic spectrum disorder plus a cognitive report was done at that time by a clinical psychiatrist. The results showed that he was functioning at a low average range across the board with specific deficits in speed of processing and task initiation.

He had a language assessment which showed his language comprehension was at 7yrs (when he was actually 13yrs)

However, he has always had normal eye contact. He also is very good at nodding, smiling and masking the extent of these huge comprehension problems.

He presents as very young for his years (i think)

His life is simple and routine just now so he functions well within it. He volunteers at a cafe which exists to provide experience to disabled adults. Twice a week half days. He attends the centre for adults with autism once a week and also volunteers at a charity shop for 3hrs a week. This routine is familiar to him and he can get to these locations himself.

So - we had an unexpected result from his capability for work asst (universal credit) this week. He was supposed to have a f2f asst yesterday but tuesday i had a phone call to cancel. They had 'new medical evidence' and had enough to make a decision.

What this new evidence is remains a mystery to me. However, when i checked his work journal later on tuesday, the letter was there online to say he has been placed in 'limited capacity for work AND work related activities.'

Although it is hard to imagine a job he could do without support, i think he could be trained to do some unskilled jobs. He has got this slowness problem but i really didnt think he was as severe as that.

However, when i queried it at the centre he attends, they said that was the right result and i should leave it. It means he can try things at his own pace with no oressure from the job centre.

What im wondering is if the pip people will get the result of that uc decision automatically and will it help decide that application, perhaps avoiding f2f there?

Also - will that uc decision letter go to his GP?

And the 'new medical evidence' could that be info from his pip application cross matched with capability for work?

The most recent reports i sent as evidence were 8yrs old! I was worried they wouldnt be enough but it must be those that got the asst cancelled as he hasnt had any other assts. He keeps really well physically, never goes near the gp.

Will the fact he manages in his limited routine just now go against a pip award?

And also, if he does need f2f pip, will the fact he looks completely 'normal' go against him or can i do the talking as his appointee?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #243262 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic My son dla to pip transfer
Hi Anisty
Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

What im wondering is if the pip people will get the result of that uc decision automatically and will it help decide that application, perhaps avoiding f2f there?

The PIP people do not have access to the Universal Credit decision and there will be a completely separate decision whether or not he needs a f2f for PIP.

Also - will that uc decision letter go to his GP?

The UC decision does not get sent to the GP

And the 'new medical evidence' could that be info from his pip application cross matched with capability for work?

Have a look at this below talking about the overlap between the two www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

Will the fact he manages in his limited routine just now go against a pip award?

If he meets the criteria he should be awarded PIP. Impossible to give you any guarantees because so much depends on the evidence you provide, how well the form is completed - and the face to face (if there is one) or the case manager if there isn't.

And also, if he does need f2f pip, will the fact he looks completely 'normal' go against him or can i do the talking as his appointee?

Many claimant's difficulties are masked by their normal appearance and behaviour. Again it depends on what you have written and the assessor. You should always include in your son's submission stating that how he appears can mask what is truly going on.

An assessor normally expects to at least speak to someone with communication difficulties even when there is an appointee, but again you should mention it on the form, even if you add a letter as an additional sheet and say that you would like the opportunity to add if your son is unable to give a fair account of himself, and you can reiterate this with an assessor if he has to have a face to face.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anisty

More
4 years 2 months ago #243267 by Anisty
Replied by Anisty on topic My son dla to pip transfer
Thank you for answering all my questions so quickly! I did fill out his application form very thoroughly and added additional sheets to explain fully what stops him being able to prepare a meal, as well as additional info about his communication difficulties.

It is also clearly stated on both his autism and cognitive reports that anyone communicating with him must be aware that he has significant language comprehension problems and difficulty reading emotion of others, despite appearing articulate himself.

Though it has to be said he only appears articulate for limited short answers. Due to his problems initiating and formulating language, he never would never ever start a conversation with anyone outside his family and isnt able to engage in a full reciprocal exchange.

In a way i want there to be a f2f so i can fully explain everything. I think i have given a pretty good picture of how he is but i didnt have your comprehensive info on how the descriptors were applied when i filled out the form and i just hope i havent mucked it up for him.

I will definitely take it all the way to tribunal though if it is not successful as he is going to need help right through his life and he is completely unable to fight his own battles so i feel a responsibility to get him the help he needs.

Thanks again and will have a good read around the site!

More
4 years 1 month ago #243375 by Anisty
Replied by Anisty on topic My son dla to pip transfer
Have now had a good look all around the site. I have put a copy of my son's pip application into his G.P.
Just one more question at the moment: is there any definition as to exactly what DWP term 'severe' autism and 'severe' learning difficulties?

When i first registered the claim over the telephone, the advisor read out a list of medical conditions and i had to answer yes or no.

I was waiting for my son's conditions to come up, and then was totally thrown by this term 'severe'

And i had to answer 'no' he does not have 'severe' anything. It was only when i came off the phone, i thought 'I dont think there is any such diagnosis as 'severe autism. What does that even mean?!'

I should have asked her to define what that meant.

To my mind, that would mean non verbal/ non speech sounds only and requiring a very high level of support indeed.

My son talks in full sentences and is intelligible. No one would ever look at him and think 'he is severely disabled' I certainly dont.

But the difficulties he does have impact every area of his life, so in that sense he is severely impacted by his autism and learning difficulties.

Is there a definition of 'severe' with regard to autism and learning difficulties?

More
4 years 1 month ago #243381 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic My son dla to pip transfer
Hi Anisty

I think the definition you give for severe autism is right, but I cannot say exactly how the DWP classify it - you would need to check with them.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anisty

More
4 years 1 month ago #243383 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic My son dla to pip transfer
Hi Anisty

Autism is not a single disorder, but a spectrum of closely related disorders with a shared core of symptoms. Every individual on the autism spectrum has problems to some degree with social interaction, empathy, communication, and flexible behaviour. The level of disability and the combination of symptoms varies tremendously from person to person.

I have had a look around various web sites, from my understanding there are 3 levels of autism, I have put some links below which you may find useful. The first link is to the National Autistic Society which has a good help line if you are not aware of them. The second two links go into autism in more details.

www.autism.org.uk/get-involved/about-us/contact-us.aspx

www.healthline.com/health/levels-of-autism

www.childbrain.com/pdd_print.shtml

Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.