× Members

Have You Had Your Mobility Car Taken Away?

More
4 years 2 months ago #243970 by Mirror
Hi
I'm very worried that my car may be taken away. I have a neighbour who had their disability car taken away (last year) after a review as she was judged to not need a disability car because she could manoeuvre an automatic car. She has fibromyalgia & her symptoms vary.

I have a similar condition & I'm worried that I will fall into this misfortune as I've heard DWP is on a mission to get back as many cars as possible since 2018. I have a review very soon how can I emphasise the importance of needing a mobility car even though I have severe arthritic pain on lower back & sometimes on legs. Moving my feet on the pedals does not mean I don't have a disability!

This is so frustrating as my car is a replacement for my mobility on most days.

Please advise.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #243993 by BIS
Hi Mirror.

It is not easy for me to offer comfort to you. Some members have lost their cars and others have been able to retain them. So much depends on the medical evidence you have to back you up about your condition, what you have written about your difficulties and the assessor at your face to face.

If you suffer from severe arthritic pain, they are going to ask what happens when you are driving, because they will assume you need both upper body and lower body strength and they may question your safety to drive a car. I can't tell you how to address this because it is an individual thing - you just need to be ready to argue if it comes up which it inevitably will.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 2 months ago #244002 by Becky
Replied by Becky on topic Have You Had Your Mobility Car Taken Away?
Hi Mirror

I've just handed my mobility car back due to my disability making me unsafe to drive. I've known it was coming for a while due to having a progressive condition. Because I knew it was coming I made enquiries about staying mobile despite not having a car. Because I get PIP mobility and scored 8 points or more I automatically qualified for a free bus pass and I have been using it more than I thought I would. I also use taxis and my friends/neighbours and family offer lifts . There is also a local bus service available for disabled people that will pick you up from your door rather than having to get to a bus stop. I'm also looking at purchasing a powerchair for local trips. I'm only 48, its not easy giving up driving but I just wanted to say there are other options.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary, Mirror

More
4 years 2 months ago #244008 by Mirror
Replied by Mirror on topic Have You Had Your Mobility Car Taken Away?
Thank you so much BIS. I never thought about the safety aspect. I will definitely consider this in my preparation for the assessment.

More
4 years 2 months ago #244009 by Mirror
Replied by Mirror on topic Have You Had Your Mobility Car Taken Away?
Thank you so much Becky. I was not aware about the services you mentioned.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Becky

More
4 years 1 month ago #245044 by susieb
Replied by susieb on topic Have You Had Your Mobility Car Taken Away?
hi mirror
I had my mobilty car taken off me in october 2019 i only scored 10 points for mobilty.
the mobilty team were very understanding and sympathetic to my situation, they sent me all information on what happens when you send car back.
I got £1000 to help me to get another car which helped immensely.
i wish you good luck.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.