× Members

Have You Had Your Mobility Car Taken Away?

More
4 years 2 months ago #245061 by Esme999
Replied by Esme999 on topic Have You Had Your Mobility Car Taken Away?
It all depends on whether you score enough points or not and that is a very individual thing. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. I transitioned from DLA to PIP and ended up only scoring enough points for standard meaning that my mobility car was due to be returned. I contacted Mobility and they informed me that if I asked for a mandatory consideration I would be able to keep the car until the outcome of that was decided. I could also keep the car for 12 weeks if I chose not to go for a MR. Now this time frame does differ depending on how long you have been a member of the Mobility Scheme so I would suggest you contact them to ask them what your situation would be. I found them very helpful and they have an actual designated team that deals with people who have failed to secure the level of PIP to retain their cars.
I was given the option to purchase my car which I duly did and was afforded by the mobility scheme a £1000 payment as well as a good condition payment of £600 this helped enormously to enable me to purchase the car. Again if you check with Mobility they will tell you what you are entitled to dependant on the length of time you have been a member as I know the figures and time scales do differ.
I did contemplate going down the MR route initially but weighed up the pros and cons and decided that as I had been awarded for a period of 10 years and standard mobility it was better to be hopefully left alone by the system for that period after which I will be pensionable age and who knows what they will have in store for us then. Good luck for the assessment process
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #245094 by missmaisie
Replied by missmaisie on topic Have You Had Your Mobility Car Taken Away?
Hi there,
I fell into the group of people that lose their mobility car at transfer from dla to pip. I was given 10 points. My car was adapted with a left foot accelerator and I was given the option to purchase however could not afford the cost of purchasing that car. I contacted motability who were fantastic with me and I applied to the motability charity as losing my car was leaving me pretty much housebound so affecting me but also my son has additional needs so was then going to be impossible to get to all of his appointments. The charity awarded me some money to purchase a second hand car (had to be automatic for the adaption I needed) and they also arranged and paid for the left foot accelerator to be fitted to the car and for a hoist to be fitted in my boot to assist in getting my mobility scooter in and out of the car. I will be eternally grateful to them as this was amazing as it took over a year for me to get to appeal. I did have to agree that I would forfeit the right to use the motability scheme for 3 or 5 years (sorry I cannot remember) as I would never want to risk losing my car again.
At appeal I was awarded high rate mobility. I was able to then exempt my car from road tax but I was advised nobody is given back what they have paid in car tax whilst waiting for tribunal (over a year in my case)
Fingers crossed for you
x
At appeal I was awarded high rate mobility

More
4 years 2 months ago #245145 by Esme999
Replied by Esme999 on topic Have You Had Your Mobility Car Taken Away?
Should have also mentioned that if you receive the standard rate for mobility you are also eligible to apply to DVLA for a 50% reduction in your vehicle car tax on an annual basis as long as you are in receipt of the PIP award. The application for 50% reduction is a yearly based application to the DVLA.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.