× Members

Author royalties whilst on Benefits

More
3 years 9 months ago #248889 by Carly
Hi,

Im really hoping you may be able to help as I am chronically unwell and am housebound/limited energy, therefore cannot access resources/info very easily.

Over the past 5 years I have slowly (and with help) put together a book of poetry which I would like to self-publish as its important for me to share my voice/journey.

My question is how this will affect my benefits:

I am on PIP which Im sure is fine. I am also currently on ESA income related but may need to transfer to UC if I leave my parents house and apply for housing benefit soon to live independly (with carer help.)

SO I need advise regarding how it works relating to both benefits please.

For instance, I do not know it this has to count as permitted work, or could count as savings - as it is royalties?

I would obviously not know an amount I would earn - if anything. And therefore could not access this weekly?

So firstly - How would this extra potential income count? Could it be worked out yearly instead? What would happen if I went over a specified weekly allowance? Or total allowance? And which system works best to support this - UC or ESA please? (My saving are under 6k and I have no other income.)

I just really hope its possible for me to follow this dream of mine, albeit it a small one, and publish. And Id like to find the best way to do so without compromising my benefits - especially if I do end up in my own house.

The only feedback Ive received is that its unlikely Ill earn money so not to worry. But I need to know the facts and would rather be optimistic ;-)

Many thanks
C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #248890 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Author royalties whilst on Benefits
Carly

I can't give you a definitive answer as it may depend on how a Decision Maker treats the income.

You are correct, your PIP is not affected.

For your ESA(IR), I would declare it as Permitted Work if possible, providing you do not exceed the weekly working hours and income (less then 16 hours/week and £140/week) then the income will be disregarded.

For UC it will be other more complicated, PW does not exist so either it will be treated as Earned Income if you declare that you are still working on the book or Unearned income if you are just taking the royalties, in either case it can be deducted from your UC, however, whether it is and at what rate will depend on your circumstances at that time.

If you do need to claim UC then please come back to the forum first, it may be possible for you to still claim legacy benefits.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 9 months ago #248896 by Carly
Replied by Carly on topic Author royalties whilst on Benefits
Hi Gordon

Thankyou. This is the problem I keep meeting - that I can’t find out exact answers. Is there anyone I can go through the specifics with at all?

I wouldn’t know a weekly sales amount and wanted to know if I could average it yearly, because I could keep an eye on sales then, and also what amount I could keep as unearned income before UC affected. Whether this is even allowed?
It’s so complex isn’t it.

I don’t want to lose my benefits esp if I move and sign a lease.

Just need to go through scenarios and best options as I feel stuck as am so keen to publish the book.

Regarding staying on ESA if you could help advise on this also pls let me know too. I don’t get severe disability premium so I figured if I hadn’t got it at present I wouldn’t be able to get it and HB if I moved house and would have to go to UC?

Thanks again
Carly

More
3 years 9 months ago #248898 by Gordon
Carly

I doubt you will get a better answer unless you can be specific with your questions which you do not appear to be able to do at this time, the DWP do not deal in "what if" scenarios, you can try contacting a Welfare Rights office but I think they will say much the same.

I can't see any reason you would lose your benefits in any of these scenarios.

With regard your moving, I assume you have a PIP Daily Living award, so when you move, if you are then living alone you will become eligible for the SD Premium, if you can get this into payment with your ESA then you can make a claim for Housing Benefit, this issue is that you cannot make the HB claim until you have the premium although it should be possible to backdate the HB. At the moment ESA with the SD Premium should be more than what you would receive with UC.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 9 months ago #248916 by Carly
Replied by Carly on topic Author royalties whilst on Benefits
Thanks Gordon.

Ill have to try to look into it more.

Regarding the SDP that is interesting. Do you know how long it would likely take to authorise - as in how many months rent I would be paying before I could get housing benefit? (Although great if can be backdated.)

The other issue is that at present my Dad does get Carers allowance but I presume I can easily stop this (he is fine with it as we use it as a family to pay for care help anyway) and then apply for the SDP instead when I move?

The other thing (sorry!) is that I cannot actually live alone without care help at the moment and as my parents are separating my Mum is happy to move in for a while. This means we can either do it as officially living together in which case I would not be entitled to SDP of course, and would have to switch to UC, or I think I would be entitled to a 2 bed rate under the provision that it is for a carer - which could be my Mum - in which case would SDP still be applicable?

I guess there are 2 options - switching to UC (which I did come out better off from if we include the carers allowance) OR Seeing if I can stay on legacy benefits knowing long term this would probably be better (and may be easier re earning royalties) esp as Dad will receive state pension in a couple of years anyway.

Sorry for all the questions. I did try to find someone I could speak specially too but had no luck as they would not talk over the phone/email and I am housebound.

C

PS If I do end up applying for permitted work on ESA - even though I am not working and its royalties - would this likely flag up the DWP looking at my case again and assuming I have improved?
PPS Thankyou so much. Your help is very much appreciated.

More
3 years 9 months ago #248925 by Gordon
Carly

For the SDP you need to be living alone or considered to be living alone so if your mother is with you then you will not be eligible whatever the bedroom allowance, the only way around this might be for her to be a joint but separate tenant but this may not be possible in practice,

Yes, your father would need to cancel their CA claim.

Applying for SDP is relatively quick, for benefit but the current situation is slowing everything down, so normally I would say less than four weeks but it could be more.

Starting PW is not a reason for a reassessment to be initiated but it is something that will be considered at a future assessment so be prepared to explain what you do and do not do.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.