× Members

ESA - MOVING HOME

More
3 years 9 months ago #249129 by gwrman
ESA - MOVING HOME was created by gwrman
I currently live in Somerset England and will be moving to the Highlands in Scotland. I receive EESA & PIP. Both of those are on “ongoing” basis with no fixed award periods set as they are set to the maximum allowed (that’s what the DWP told me). I AM registered blind and have a Guide Dog. When I move will my ESA have to be reassessed ? Or will I be forced onto Universal Credit ? I did move once before some years ago but that was within Somerset and DWP just sent me an additional form to clarify a few things, I didn’t have to be reassessed but as this time I am moving to Scotland I didn’t know if the rules change at all. Can anyone help me here ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #249147 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA - MOVING HOME
Tony

If you need to make a claim for Housing Benefit then unless you are currently receiving the Severe Disability Premium as part of your ESA, you will need to make a claim for Universal Credit and any Income Related ESA will be transferred.

If you have the Premium or do not need to claim Housing Benefit then there is no requirement for you to claim Universal Credit.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 9 months ago #249156 by gwrman
Replied by gwrman on topic ESA - MOVING HOME
Let me explain my situation. I currently live in a housing association property in Somerset and receive housing benefit council tax benefit ESA including a SEVERE DISABILITY PREMIUM and PIP. I am a single man and no one is moving with me. When I move to Scotland I will be in either a council or housing association bungalow so will need to claim housing benefit/council tax benefit up there. What I didn’t know was if by moving from England to Scotland that would mean I would have to reapply for my ESA or pushed into claiming UNIVERSAL CREDIT. I don’t know if there any differences between England and Scotland in regards to the DWP. THANKS

More
3 years 9 months ago #249159 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA - MOVING HOME
tony

If you are receiving the Severe Disability Premium then you are barred from claiming Universal Credit at this time, this applies to Scotland as well as England.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: gwrman

More
3 years 9 months ago #249343 by gwrman
Replied by gwrman on topic ESA - MOVING HOME
One other question.........Years ago I thought there was a moving home allowance of £200 I think. Does this still exist ? I imagine it doesn’t but just thought I’d ask if anyone knows. Thanks

More
3 years 9 months ago #249344 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic ESA - MOVING HOME
Hi Tony

I am not aware of a moving home allowance, in Australia there is a 'Living Away from Home Allowance (LAFHA)' www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/livin...llowance-apprentices.

Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.