× Members

ESA Moving Home

More
3 years 9 months ago #249336 by Mikey
ESA Moving Home was created by Mikey
I am in receipt of ESA (support component) and Housing Benefit. I am thinking of moving home - same area/same local council.

On the GOV website I read that I may not be able to claim Housing Benefit on my new home (Housing Association) and that I might be moved onto UC.

What would be the pros and cons of being moved onto UC?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #249337 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Moving Home
Mikey

If you are moving within the same Local Authority then you will not trigger a move to UC as you will not need to make a new claim for Housing Benefit, however, it is worth your putting your information into one of the online benefit calculators to see whether you would be better switching to UC or not.

www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 9 months ago #249348 by Mikey
Replied by Mikey on topic ESA Moving Home
I'm worried if l move onto UC l may have to complete a work capability assessment form and risk failing the assessment. l was recently told by the DWP that l won't be reassessed for my
current ESA benefit until December 2021. I might be better staying on ESA ?

More
3 years 9 months ago #249352 by Gordon
Mikey

Unless you are due for reassessment, your existing award would be transferred to UC.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 9 months ago #249418 by Mikey
Replied by Mikey on topic ESA Moving Home
I am not due reassessment for my ESA until December 2021.
If I was transferred to UC surely I would have to apply via documentation? Wouldn't that be a Work Capability Assessment form?

Would I have to inform DWP of my change of address? How would I do this?

More
3 years 9 months ago #249442 by Gordon
Mikey

You would have to apply for UC, this is done online but as I said, your existing ESA award should be transferred so that means no UC50 and not assessment until you reach your reassessment date.

I would phone them about the change of address and then follow it up in writing.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.