× Members

UC50 form filling help

More
3 years 6 months ago #250941 by MoonRose77
UC50 form filling help was created by MoonRose77
Would anyone be able to help me word things for a couple of the questions - I am drawing complete blanks as to what to put to keep it brief and to the point. This is my daughters claim I am trying to help with but I think form filling fatigue has set in. She has CFS, fibromyalgia, depression and anxiety - so there's quite a lot of overlap of symptoms.

If not does anyone know of anywhere that can help with this - the form is due back next week by the 18th.

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #250954 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic UC50 form filling help
Anne

I'm afraid we can't tell you what to write in your form but we can help you understand the criteria that you are being asked to meet.

What questions are you struggling with?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 6 months ago #250969 by MoonRose77
Replied by MoonRose77 on topic UC50 form filling help
Probably the ones I'm not sure whether apply are 3,4,5 8 and 12.

Aside from that I have all the other questions summarised in note form it's just the sentence forming part I am lost on right now as I could write forever as to how the conditions affect her.

More
3 years 6 months ago #250998 by Gordon
Anne

So question 3 is about you preparing and cooking a simple meal, you need to be able to this once a day and you need to both be able to prepare the food and to cook it, if you cannot do one of these then you should score.

As with all the activities you need to explain why (if this is the case) aids will not help you prepare and/or cook the meal and why prompting, supervision or assistance will also not help.

Question 4 is about your eating and drinking, it is important to note that it is completely separate from preparing and cooking what you are eating, this is primarily about the physical act of eating and drinking, however, if there are mental health reasons why you cannot do this then they are also taken into account.

Question 5 is about managing treatments and medicine, don't spend too much time on the latter as it can only ever score one point. Managing treatments is not about the time that you undertake a treatment but the time that you need prompting. supervision or assistance to complete the treatment, so as an example; if you need assistance with a Tens machine then the time that it takes for someone to apply the pads and to remove them would count but the time in between typically would not.

Question 8 is about dressing and undressing and the problems you have doing so, the PIP Claim explains the requirement better than I can here.

Question 12 is about dealing with your money, there are two levels of disability; can you cope with the basics of shopping, for example; working out what change you would need to give for a small purchase. Secondly, can you manage your finances, could you budget for a holiday, do you remember to pay your credit card bill each month?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 6 months ago #251001 by MoonRose77
Replied by MoonRose77 on topic UC50 form filling help
Gordon

With respect I think you have confused PIP with the UC50 here - question 3 is regarding reaching, 4 is picking up and moving things, 5 is manual dexterity, 8 getting around safely, 12 awareness of hazards

But thank you for these as they will help when it comes time to renew her PIP award

Anne

More
3 years 6 months ago #251003 by Gordon
Anne

My apologies we have had so few UC questions.

So questions 1-10 are concerned only with physical problems you cannot score if the underlying reason you cannot complete an activity is due to a mental health issue. Questions 11-17 are about mental health issues and there is a similar restriction that limitations cannot be the result of a physical problem.

Reaching is pretty much as the Guide describes it, ESA is different from PIP in that issues related to "reliability" are not defined in the ESA legislation but rather enacted through various UTT Decisions, this does not mean that they have any less applicability but you will need to go into much more detail about your limitations.

So you need to be able to raise your arm repeatedly, there is no definition of how many times is reasonable but the fewer times the better. The pain phrase for ESA is "discomfort", for some activities, not all the legislation refers to "significant discomfort", "severe discomfort" would be considered as worse.

The underlying work activity for Question 4 is working at a supermarket till picking up an item, passing it by the scanner and putting it down again, so repeatability is a key issue. The items considered are very specific so you can try them at home to check your capability just remember that this is not about picking them up from the floor or similar a better example would be the worktop in your kitchen. You can only score if you are unable to complete the activity with both arms, a restriction in one arm will not score.

Question 5 is about restrictions in the hand, again you need to be unable to complete the tasks with both hands to score.

Question 8 is about physical restrictions that prevent you from getting around safely, so primarily sight problems but you may also be able to score for deafness as well.

Question 12 is about a claimant not being aware of hazards, for example not realising the importance of crossing a road at a crossing for example. Being aware of the hazard but being unable to avoid it will not score you genuinely need to be unaware of the danger.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: MoonRose77

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.