× Members

Rights to Paper/Telephone Assessment

More
3 years 7 months ago #251265 by Mark
Hi

Just wondered if anyone knows if we can insist on a paper based review or failing that a telephone appointment for the foreseeable future, let’s say well into next year, for both esa and pip?

If called for attending medical would there be any grounds to demand alternative arrangements due to COVID-19?

Even in the absence of COVID-19 would there be any grounds?

Think I might have asked something similar before in another post but might be worth having it dealt with in a separate post.

Thanks.

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #251281 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Rights to Paper/Telephone Assessment
Hi Mark

You are free to request a paper-based assessment, but they are unlikely to grant one without a doctor's letter confirming that it would cause you 'overwhelming psychological distress' to have a telephone assessment. Be warned even then the DWP and/or the assessment services sometimes ignore such requests.

If you have a paper-based assessment are you chances improved or disadvantaged? it's almost impossible to say in the current circumstances. Paper-based assessments are great in there is no stress or intrusive questions from an assessor, however, they have a disadvantage in that there is no opportunity to clarify any questions the assessor may have or say something you have forgotten on the form.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 7 months ago #251294 by Mark
Replied by Mark on topic Rights to Paper/Telephone Assessment
Thanks Gary.

I suspect that it also depends (as has been alluded to elsewhere) if people are more or less successful if getting award. If less successful I bet the DWP would be very encouraging for anyone who wants a telephone or paper assessment.

I was thinking along the lines of people putting themselves at risk by travelling via public transport and coming into contact with others even at the assessment enter. Not to mention the claimant unknowingly being infected themselves. Would that be worth a go in suggesting it to them?

More
3 years 6 months ago #251307 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Rights to Paper/Telephone Assessment
Hi Mark

As far as I am aware there are no face to face assessments at this moment in time.

You need to download the latest version of the PIP guide which has been updated with 9 pages about telephone assessments and how to prepare for them. The questions are just as they would be in a face to face based on the questions on the claim form. Go through them and make bullet points of the things against each question that you want to emphasise. No one can tell you what to say - because it's individual to everyone.

Don't forget to have a drink of water with you.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.