× Members

So scared don’t know if it should give up

More
3 years 6 months ago #252645 by denby
Dear Graham, so sorry you are being put through this and have a slow GP. Just to back what Gary says though, if you can, do ask your GP for a letter with those words, 'overwhelming psychological distress' in it. The GP has every reason to write it after what happened September last year. Even if you can't get a letter before your 3rd Nov appointment you can still send it in [do keep a copy] as additional evidence afterwards. A letter like this did succeed for our daughter so I want to give you that little ray of possible hope.
You have already done so well to fill in the form carefully using the B&W guide and sending extra evidence, hopefully you have kept a copy and can have it by you when they phone, make them work through it without skipping bits if you can. If you didn't keep a copy, maybe making some notes beforehand will help you stay in control?

Very best wishes for the call and do come back to let us all know how you get on. Denby
The following user(s) said Thank You: blackpoolgraham, Dan Statham

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #252696 by Flowerpower70
Replied by Flowerpower70 on topic So scared don’t know if it should give up
Hi Graham, firstly don't think you are the only one who is scared by all this, there are thousands and thousands of us out there. I've been fighting for my 51 year old son and haven't slept properly since the hounding began. Don't let them beat you, you are ten times the man these assessors are.
The following user(s) said Thank You: blackpoolgraham, denby, #JC4PM, Dan Statham, Nicol

More
3 years 5 months ago #252749 by esmith
Replied by esmith on topic So scared don’t know if it should give up
Hi Graham, I applied on similar grounds and have just been awarded PIP. It was a nightmare but not only do you deserve the help but it is a step towards wrestling back some of the control that mental illness robs us of. I find it helps to write down what I want to cover with my GP in those precious few minutes so if my mind goes blank I can stick it in front of his nose. The system is wrong but the guidance works and if you have contact with a social worker I'd have thought that was something they could help with. If your sister is willing I believe she can join the phone assessment if that would help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: blackpoolgraham, denby

More
3 years 5 months ago #252766 by blackpoolgraham
Replied by blackpoolgraham on topic So scared don’t know if it should give up
Thank you so much, 4.40am just a night of worry.

You are so right about the doctor, in the end I wrote everything down on a piece of paper and just gave it to him. The last phone call from Mental Health she said she was going to arrange a social worker and come with her when she came around, that was on 5th October so hopefully I will hear something soon.

My best friend who I lost recommend this site to me a few years before he died, I hope he will be with me on Tuesday.

My sister lives in America and is working two jobs with an Autistic son and her granddaughter has Rett Syndrome, that why I promised I would never try to take my life again, she has so much to worry about without me adding to it.

One final question, I expect this list like how long is a piece of string, but how long does the phone call last?

Thank you again, it really helps more that you know to know that I am not alone in being scared.

More
3 years 5 months ago #252783 by BIS
Hi Graham

I know this is absolutely terrifying for you, but you can do it. Make sure you have water with you - because fear dries up your saliva. Don't be hurried into answering. If you need a minute don't be afraid to do so. If you get the chance, from the very beginning, tell them of your fears and say you worry about being able to get through the process, but you will do the best you can. As for the length of the assessment - they have varied from three-quarters of an hour to an hour and a half. It's hard to be exact because it does depend a little on what people have to say and what is asked. If there are anythings you really want to get across write yourself a bulleted list. Not long sentences - just something that can prompt you if need be. And try not to panic if you suddenly can't remember something. Focus on your friend!

Good luck

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: blackpoolgraham, denby, Dan Statham, Ghirl#1

More
3 years 5 months ago #252794 by Dan Statham
Replied by Dan Statham on topic So scared don’t know if it should give up
Hi Graham,

Hope it all goes well, the advice from everyone is all good and I followed it today when I had my assessment. I have some of the medical issues you have and the telephone assessment went a lot better than the f-2-f assessment. I feel a lot was missed out, so it is good to be prepared with a bullet point list. Especially for the things (descriptors) that would give you enhanced PIP, and spell those out especially. It was difficult to keep track of things using the forms, I discovered.

It is scary to have to wait and dread this, but you can get through it. I prepared myself for "failure" in advance, and that took some of the pressure off. I also plan to get my appeal / MR written beforehand, which keeps me busy now. I would recommend recording the assessment on your phone so you can address the likely missing issues. Don't be afraid to put your side across even when you're not asked questions, because I forgot a lot of things and will have to correct them when the report finally comes out.

It's just one stage in a process and you might have a kind, compassionate asessor who wants to help you! My assessor was quite polite and patient, at least, it wasn't too stressful.

Good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: blackpoolgraham

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.