× Members

Pips Regs Section 7 - aka '50% rule'

More
2 years 11 months ago #259237 by MrFibro
Replied by MrFibro on topic Pips Regs Section 7 - aka '50% rule'
Hi Gary,

thanks for your reply. So i can put ..due to severe disk degerneration in the cervical/ lumbar/sacral spine accompanied with neuropathic nerve pain in both legs.

means to me that preparing and cooking a meal causes me excruciating pain and leaves me fatigued, even if sitting for a couple of minutes on my perch stool, and also from standing a few minutes.

In turn the fatigue and pain is so extent that i have to go and lay down in bed, leaving me not being able to prepare or cook a meal.

The frequency of not being able to do this is everyday, as i have to rely on family to prepare vegetables etc and to cook the meal.

However lunch times i can make a simple sandwich, which is from a packet of chopped or mixed salad, hence i don't have to chop up vegetable etc due to severe rheumatism in my hands and fingers.

Breakfast i can manage a bowl of cereals with cold milk. as this has less impact on me physically and mentally as in regards to pain and fatigue.

So Gary I'm hoping using the scenario i will score so many points as i cant prepare or cook a simple meal with fresh ingredients right?

I don't see how making a salad sandwich could be classed as cooking right ?

Thanks for your read.

Regards to all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #259242 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic Pips Regs Section 7 - aka '50% rule'
Hello mrfibrospondodysthmatic,

As I am sure you are aware giving individual advise is beyond the scope of this forum. However I would say that what you have written paints a pretty good picture.

A couple of general points –

I think you could make it clearer on whether or not having assistance would help you prepare a meal. Remembering that assistance should not be so extensive as to basically preparing a meal for you. I suspect from what you have written that reasonable assistance would not enable you to prepare a meal, but you don’t actually say so.

Also you talk about having to lie down to recover, it would be helpful if you could give an indication of how long your recovery time is – i.e. is it just a few minutes or a significant time.

I think an assessor might ask if you can make a sandwich, do you cut it in half, and therefore can you actually cut etc etc. Again you might wish to be specific about this part of the activity.

I hope this helps,
Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrFibro

More
2 years 11 months ago #259251 by LL26
Replied by LL26 on topic Pips Regs Section 7 - aka '50% rule'
Hi mrfibrospondodysthmatic,

Just thought I would clarify that the test for preparing food under descriptor 1, means preparing a simple cooked meal for one, using fresh ingredients.
You have told us that your family prepare vegetables, and you are only ably to get a sandwich or salad from a bag or cereal from a packet. Neither of these items comprise actual cooking so as long as you can convince DWP you should get points! You appear to be unable to do this task at all times.
As Catherine said, explain the fatigue and pain, how it affects you, and how it affects the ability to repeat a task. Also explain if you have safety issues and how long it takes. You should do this for all the descriptors. Use examples of safety concerns, or taking too long or fatigue to illustrate your difficulties. The members guides give more information.
I hope this helps.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrFibro

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.