× Members

RECENT PIP PHONE ASSESSMENT

More
2 years 11 months ago #259203 by OUTLANDER
RECENT PIP PHONE ASSESSMENT was created by OUTLANDER
Hi guys,
I've recently received a copy of my PIP report ( I had requested phone assessment was recorded) - unfortunately again full of inaccuracies and inconsistencies and they seem to have ignored medical documentation. Anyway a few points jump out to me so if anyone can shed some light on these points I would be grateful. Firstly - on the descriptors where I have scored points they have referenced my previous application from 2017. It appears that if the medical condition was present at the time of that assessment in 2017 they agree that it is still present for this recent assessment. If a condition was not present in 2017 assessment they are ignoring it - hope that makes sense. An example they use is 'A previous PA4 dated 2017 suggests she was able to carry out this activity unaided and there is no evidence to suggest a worsening of her condition. Therefore suggesting it is likely she is able to carry out this activity unaided for the majority of the time'. They have completely dismissed my diagnosis of Blepharitis which can flare up at any time. They only asked when had I had the last episode of Blepharitis - not how often and ignored the daily treatments and medication for this condition.
Secondly - I have mobility issues and can easily fall and I struggle with pavements and uneven floor. As I have fallen over on occasion and injured myself I now reply on the support of a family member when I go out. As my legs only bend to a 30 degree angle I can not get myself off a floor and would require assistance. Again they have referred back to 2017 which then suggests I was able to mobilise 20-50 metres, with an MSO suggesting restrictions to knee bend - therefore suggesting it is likely I am able to mobilise 20-50 metres, repeatedly and and reliably for the majority of they days. Then the report goes onto say ' Reasons why the reported restrictions are not supported by evidence as despite reporting that I struggle stepping up and down curbs, even surfaces are not considered within this activity for the purpose of PIP. I am totally perplexed by this last statement as you can't just ignore curbs, uneven pavements, stairs, steps. Etc when assessing a claimants capabilities. There are other descriptors where the HP has ignored medical documents and treatment . Since my last assessment I now suffer with severe depression, anxiety and PTSD - which impacts on my daily life. They have ignored this - even with medical documentation for my GP and other
health professionals.
I would be grateful if anyone can untangle this.
Thankyou

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #259208 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic RECENT PIP PHONE ASSESSMENT
Hi Pamela

It's frustrating when assessors ignore new or old conditions. I can't tell you why they may have done this - all you can do is challenge them on it. Be aware the conditions are not what the DWP are interested in - they care about your ability to meet the criteria.

So I understand you were annoyed when they didn't ask more about your Blepharitis. They will not be interested in your treatments or medication for this -what matters is how it affects you as per the PIP criteria. One obvious example is your ability to cook a meal safely and reliably when your sight is affected - so make sure that you talked in those terms.

In terms of the pavements, curbs - no they don't have to consider those, because it's not the criteria. They are judging your ability to walk A-B for so many meters. If you can't do as much as 20mts say so. and talk about the reliability and safety (again).

I assume you are going to put in for a mandatory reconsideration. Although you may be tempted to challenge everything, make sure that you concentrate the greatest effort on the points where you think you should have scored better than you did.

Have a look at the guide to PIP Appeals which has the information for putting in an MR.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 years 11 months ago #259214 by denby
Replied by denby on topic RECENT PIP PHONE ASSESSMENT
Hi Pamela, if this is the assessors report and you have not had the decision yet, you can write to DWP ASAP. Take the report apart unemotionally point by descriptor point, referring them to the evidence they have ignored. Also if anything has been twisted eg "pain medication for moderate pain" you can add pages from the NHS website to prove that it is really for severe pain. Best to say this is not a request for MR but you reserve the right to submit one later.
It is worth investing effort in this letter as in our daughter's case and others it has turned a very poor report into a very good result, without the hassle of MR/Appeal. And even if it doesn't, basically you have your MR there ready-made so not wasted effort.
Very best wishes, Denby
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
2 years 11 months ago #259220 by Vitdee
Replied by Vitdee on topic RECENT PIP PHONE ASSESSMENT
Hi Pamela,
You must have had the same decision maker we had as this happened to by husband too. I know all too well it leaves you reeling wondering what on earth they are looking at because it certainly was nothing like the form, assessment and documents we sent in.
His mandatory consideration was four A4 sides long detailing all the HR inaccuracies (lies), omissions and pointing out evidence that had been ignored etc plus a GP's letter of support. The GP's letter was only referenced once in their response everything else ignored again! So off to tribunal we go.
To me it feels like when I did O/A levels at school, getting a piece of text, highlighting all the relevant important points, well they might do that but then ignore it all, they concentrate on what little is left and then spin a load of old bs. Or when a politician is asked a question then answers a completely different question!!
Please don't get disheartened, it definitely is a problem with them (I suspect an engineered one at that) and not us, just don't let them get away with it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Applesoranges143, Gary

More
2 years 11 months ago #259240 by OUTLANDER
Replied by OUTLANDER on topic RECENT PIP PHONE ASSESSMENT
Hi All,
Thankyou for your invaluable comments - I have just drafted a letter ' as further supporting evidence' not a mandatory reconsideration. Going through the report and concentrating on the areas where I should score points. After reading the report I could now see where I needed to be more descriptive in how I am effected on a daily basis.
I'll also ring PIP and inform them I have sent in further supporting evidence for the DM.
Thankyou all again for the replies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby

More
2 years 11 months ago #259248 by Beetroot21
Replied by Beetroot21 on topic RECENT PIP PHONE ASSESSMENT
My husband recently had his telephone assessment (which unfortunately we did not record) however we requested a copy of said report which is full of factual inconsistencies & reality misconceptions
It baffles me why they assessor made the comments she did then blatantly ignored the facts given to her. She was rude & patronising throughout the assessment and the constant banging/tapping of her alleged key board was extremely anxiety provoking for someone suffering from depression anxiety and stress along with a multi level degenerative condition with much more on the list.
Needless to say I have made a formal complaint and now await the response to their investigations.
It’s baffling how a physiotherapist because she is a pip assessor becomes an expert on mental health issues and many physical conditions.
The assessments are stressful enough without having to endure an onslaught of unnecessary quick fire questions and total disregard for the medical evidence.
Then leaving them waiting many weeks for the dreaded envelope afraid to open it fearing the worst.
The DWP & assessors have no respect for the genuine sufferers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Applesoranges143

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.