× Members

RECENT PIP PHONE ASSESSMENT

More
2 years 11 months ago #259265 by denby
Replied by denby on topic RECENT PIP PHONE ASSESSMENT
Hello Normski, I hope this will help: if you look at my post further up, you can write in NOW to dispute the report, don't wait for a bad decision. Totally agree with your opinion.
Regards and best wishes, Denby

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #259305 by OUTLANDER
Replied by OUTLANDER on topic RECENT PIP PHONE ASSESSMENT
Hi All,
Regards Activity 9 - Engaging with others face to face.
Can anyone advice me on Activity 9 : Engaging with others face to face. Does the person who supports you to attend appointments etc have to be training to support you?
The reason I ask is on my PIP report it states ' The need for social support has been considered, however there is no evidence ( I've supplied evidence given by GP and my diagnosis of depression, anxiety and PTSD from mental health professional and also my claim form and phone assessment in house these conditions effect my daily life) - for ongoing support from an ' experienced person' who has had training specifically to the claimant so she can engage socially'. I have scanned the B&W site and other mental health/PIP website and can not find any reference to the person having to be qualified in some way.
Any help - especially if this is a case in law.
Sorry for rambling on and I hope my question make sense.
Many heartfelt thanks.

More
2 years 11 months ago #259329 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic RECENT PIP PHONE ASSESSMENT
Hi Pamela

The answer to your question is no, they do not need to be trained.

This activity considers a claimant’s ability to engage with other people, which means to interact face-to-face in a contextually and socially appropriate manner, understand body language and establish relationships.

Activities 7 and 9 are not mutually exclusive. If claimants require support to engage with others under activity 9, as well as communication support under activity 7, then their needs must be considered under both activities.

Notes:

An inability to engage face-to-face must be due to the impact of impairment and not simply a matter of preference by the claimant.

Social support means support from another person trained or experienced in assisting people to engage in social situations, or someone directly experienced in supporting the claimant themselves (for example a family member), who can compensate for limited ability to understand and respond to body language, other social cues and assist social integration. Most claimants with sensory impairments will be able to fully engage with others independently, however they may score on both activities 7 and 9 if, for example anxiety arising from their impairment means they reasonably require social support to engage with people generally.

Behaviour which would result in a substantial risk of harm to the claimant or another person must be as a result of an underlying health condition and the claimant’s inability to control their behaviour.

When considering whether claimants can engage with others, consideration should be given to whether they can engage with people generally, not just those people they know well.

If an individual cannot reliably complete an activity in the way described in a descriptor then they should be considered unable to complete it at that level and an alternative descriptor selected.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.