× Members

ESA reduced- it doesn't make sense. Confused!

More
1 year 11 months ago #269300 by CAT_FANATIC
Hi,

I had a letter today saying my Contributions Based ESA(Support Group) amount was being reduced to £44.40 because of "a change in money coming in". But I don't have any more money coming in. I was on £114.10 a week and it changes from today.

The only thing that has happened money-wise is that I made some things and sold them on Etsy. I didn't think I needed to declare that, firstly because of it being contributions based, and secondly, it's so small. It works out at roughly £5.50 a week, less Etsy costs.

I know I can ask for mandatory reconsideration and I will, but no one was answering the phone today.

How on earth can I lose 2/3 of ESA for £5.50 a week? I am confused. Do they really look at Etsy shops? Even tiny ones? I don't understand and now I'm also feeling watched.

I'm in the support group because my bipolar is so hard to control. I'm basically a zombie or hyper, depending on the meds. Sometimes I am 'level', but mostly my mood and ability is like a zig zag. I've been level for a good month or so, but this- I don't need this (not that anyone does!!)

Any words of support would be greatfully received!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago #269305 by LL26
Hi CAT_FANATIC,
I tend to agree with you, the reduction know benefit doesn't make sense. Whilst it is not impossible, it is unlikely that DWP would know about Etsy sales.
Normally contributions based ESA is not affected by income. If you receive an occupational pension eg due to early retirement this can affect ESAcb. This is only relevant if you have an occ. Pension of over £85 per week. Then 50% of everything over £85 is deducted off ESA.
Other possibilities for deductions are overpayments, maybe of other benefits but that wouldn't be described as 'due to a change in income.
The other possibility is that DWP think you are on means tested ESA and have taken into account eg income from your partner or they have just confused you with someone else.
Even if you were on means tested ESA there is a small disregard of £20 for earnings as permitted work. (But whilst it is allowed you would have to notify DWP.)
I think you need to phone or write into DWP and ask for the full reason for the deduction, and confirmation of what sort of ESA you are actually on.
If you need any more advice please post again once you get a response from DWP.
I agree that it is really confusing trying to battle with DWP. I'm sorry to hear that you don't feel very well. The hassle of dealing with DWP can not help. I'm sure I speak for everyone at B&W in willing you all the best and a hope for a swift resolution in working out why your benefit was reduced.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: CAT_FANATIC, denby

More
1 year 11 months ago #269344 by CAT_FANATIC
Replied by CAT_FANATIC on topic ESA reduced- it doesn't make sense. Confused!
Thank you for replying!

I have realised what it probably is-

I began a degree last year online, ie. part time, distance learning. I got a student loan, and it looks like they've treated it as income.

However, all my ESA is contributions based, and also, none of the loan was a 'maintenance' loan. it was purely tuition fees. It went directly from Student Finance to the Un (I- it didn't even bounce in and out of my account, so I didn't see it, let alone be able to use it for anything else!)

I've read around a lot (up through the night, not great health-wise is it) but can only find info about this re income related ESA. Even then, what I'm finding is that only PART of the maintenance element of a student loan can be taken into account.

I can find nothing to explain how what they've done is correct. I don't have the exact amount of the loan to hand, but the approx amount divided by 52 = roughly the amount they've taken off.

My stomach is already turning re calling them Monday morning, even with thinking this must surely be an error. I've decided to follow it up with an email, and make sure it's taken as the Mandatory Reconsideration.

Sheesh!

More
1 year 11 months ago #269348 by LL26
Hi CAT_FANATIC,
Yes, I'm afraid it's a long wait on the phone to try and ascertain what's been happening. Please let us know what the outcome is. We will endeavour to help if we can.
Good luck.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: CAT_FANATIC

More
1 year 11 months ago #269474 by Angel
Hi Cat, CPAG have recently published a guide for ‘Students and Benefits’. It will be worth your while getting a copy from their website. It is always worth knowing more than the DWP so that you can fight/ argue with them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CAT_FANATIC, LL26

More
1 year 9 months ago #271643 by ME Jane
Replied by ME Jane on topic ESA reduced- it doesn't make sense. Confused!
I am looking into this atm It could be 'Notional Income' i.e on the part-time maintenance loan you have not applied for, rather than the tuition fees loan. It looks like this would be deducted pro-rata depending on the no. of credits. his from the changes to UC + disabled students from December 15th 2021.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CAT_FANATIC

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.