× Members

PIP review question

More
1 year 11 months ago #270423 by organic
PIP review question was created by organic
I am currently completing my PIP review form.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Preparing and cooking food
I cannot prepare and cook food since my last review.

I am having difficulty with the following question:
Tell us how you manage this activity now, including the use of any aids that you need.

How do I answer the question if I cant do the activity now?

Do I explain the difficulties I had in the past tense? The aids I tried? Why I was unable to do the task even with assistance or supervision?

Secondly, my previous GP wrote a PIP support letter before I moved. It is now six months old. I showed it to my new GP. They said as it is so recent, they didn't see the need to write another support letter. Will the DWP accept this as evidence or try to say it is out of date? Would you advise I explain on the form why I am using a support letter that is six months old and from my previous GP?

I appreciate your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago #270439 by peter
Replied by peter on topic PIP review question
Hi organic

In regards to Preparing and Cooking Food

1. You need to explain how you are managing with meals now. Is someone cooking for you.? If that is the case then ask them to write a letter which supports your claim. Do you get meals delivered to you? If so again ask for confirmation from the provider.
2. You need to say why assistance and supervision are unhelpful.
3. You need to clearly state what aids you have tried and why they didn’t help. If you haven’t tried any then explain why not (could be that even large grip utensils are unmanageable)

On the subject of the GP letter, if you do send in the old letter then explain that you did approach your new GP for a more recent letter but that they had said they didn’t see the need. If you are able to afford the GP fee it might be worth approaching the surgery again and getting an up to date letter especially if there are any changes.

I hope this helps

Regards
Pete.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: organic

More
1 year 11 months ago #270466 by organic
Replied by organic on topic PIP review question
Thanks for the response.

My ex wife previously prepared and cooked all my meals. I was unable to prepare and cook my meals even with assistance and supervision.

I now live on my own. I don't have anyone to prepare and cook meals for me.

I am able to use a microwave once a day to reheat a ready meal.

I don't get my meals delivered. I get a weekly online grocery delivery from a supermarket.

Do I go through all the stages of preparing and cooking a meal and explain why I was unable to do these in the past either on my own or with assistance and supervision? Explaining why the aids didn't help? Explaining why this is still the case today.

I thought PIP can be awarded if you can demonstrate that you need the help but don't get it.

I forgot to mention the new GP said the surgery don't write support letters. They wait for the DWP to write to them.

More
1 year 11 months ago #270483 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP review question
Hi Organic

It's always worth explaining why you have never been able to prepare a meal - it then gives a clear picture that you can't do it, rather than you don't choose to do it. Make it clear that you need assistance. You are right, you can be awarded PIP on the basis that you need help, even if you don't currently have any.

The support letter you already have from the GP will be fine. The DWP like evidence to be no older than three years old, but I know plenty of people who have successfully got PIP with no recent evidence.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: organic

More
1 year 11 months ago #270517 by organic
Replied by organic on topic PIP review question
Thanks Pete and Bis. :)

Can I ask a couple of questions regarding reasonable timescale. The length of time to do an activity.

1. Is it twice as long, or more than two times longer than a normal person that means I cannot do the activity within a resonable timescale?

ie. Normal person 10 minutes, me 20 minutes (twice as long) or 21 minutes (more than twice as long).

2. Do I include how long it takes to recover from a task in with how long the task takes to complete?

Thanks.

More
1 year 11 months ago #270524 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP review question
Hi Organic

Assessors are asked to judge whether a claimant can do a specific activity "safely, to an acceptable standard, repeatedly, in a reasonable time period " The reasonable time period means no more than twice as long as someone else - but how long specific activities take are open to interpretation. When I have helped people fill in their forms, I avoid giving clear times it takes them to do anything because it is easy for an assessor to misinterpret them. I mean how long should it take someone to get dressed? 10 minutes - 30 minutes? It would depend on what a person was wearing and perhaps where they were going. I normally say for claimants, that it takes much longer for them to get dressed because of their lack of manual dexterity, their need for assistance and their need to stop two or three times because of pain in order to catch their breath before they can be fully dressed. This fully shows that it would take them much longer than someone who didn't have the same condition. Yes, I always include how long it takes to recover and why it is so slow. And remember they should be able to repeat that activity - if they can't - I say so.

BIS

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.