× Members

PIP review question

• organic
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
1 year 11 months ago #270528 by organic
Replied by organic on topic PIP review question
So I just need to say it takes me more than twice as long a normal person to do the activity. Then break down why. Then discuss the rests required to recover from the activity, and whether I can repeat the activity.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago #270529 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP review question
Hi Organic

How much detail you put is a matter of personal taste, but when I'm helping people to fill out forms I try to minimise the questions they come back with by providing as much information as possible about the things they are specifically looking at. It doesn't always work. So much of this process comes down to an element of luck.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: organic

• organic
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
1 year 10 months ago #270837 by organic
Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding my PIP review.

If you can prepare a meal once but are unable to go on and prepare a meal for the rest of the day does that mean you cannot prepare and cook food?

I am unable to use a kettle. I was advised against using a tipping kettle by the hand therapist as the tipping motion would aggravate my wrist pain. Instead they recommended a one touch hot water dispenser. Should I mention this aid under question 1. Preparing food and cooking? I only use it to make hot drinks. I don't use it to boil water to cook food.

Or would it be better to mention it as an aid under question 2. Eating and drinking? I use this aid to take nutrition.

Thanks.

More
1 year 10 months ago #270864 by LL26
Replied by LL26 on topic PIP review question
Hi organic,
Descriptor 1 deals with the preparation and cooking of a simple meal for one using fresh ingredients. Using the kettle does not comprise cooking.
Descriptor 2 involves the ability to eat and drink, hence making tea and coffee isn't included here either. Can you physically eat and drink safely etc it includes whether you need help eg adapted cutlery or a special plate or do you have a feeding tube.
Your inability to use a kettle may indicate you have poor wrist strength etc so think what activities could be similar to using a kettle, maybe lifting a small pan, or a plate, maybe using cutlery etc and being able to chop food. Then on your form simply write that you can't do X because you have poor wrist strength, and explain why.
Make sure you address each descriptor clearly and as BIS said earlier don't introduce extra things into the mix. If you say I can't use a kettle hence I can't cook food, DWP will only come back and say 'using a kettle isn't part of descriptor 1 or 2' and will ignore anything else because it doesn't seem relevant and will just award zero points.
As per previous posts. Explain why you can't eg cook, give examples of what goes wrong eg accidents, burnt food, raw food etc, or simply going hungry. Show you are unsafe, too slow, can't do acceptably or repeatedly.
And just to mention repetition, you need to be able to do (any) descriptor repeatedly across the day as many times as reasonably required. Dressing etc may need to be done say four or five times per day. Toilet needs might comprise 10 or even 30 times per day if you have incontinence. Preparing food is likely to be 2 maybe 3 or 4 times per day. (Bearing in mind this is only meals not snacks or drinks.)
You would need to show that eg any or all of breakfast lunch and supper couldn't be done due to your health condition. So it might be fatigue breathlessness, light headedness or eg pain etc that prevents you from doing the activity across the whole day, as reasonably required for the majority of days. You will need to explain why you can't repeat.
I hope this helps to clarify.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, organic

• organic
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
1 year 10 months ago #270892 by organic
Thanks for the response.

Your guide mentions using a kettle tipper as an aid under question 1. Preparing food and cooking.

In what context would a kettle tipper be used to prepare and cook food?

Regarding question 2. Eating and drinking?

A Hand Therapist recommended I use a lightweight thermo mug for hot drinks, lightweight plates and bowls and easy grip cutlery. Do these all count as aids under this question?

I appreciate your help.

More
1 year 10 months ago #270923 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP review question
Hi organic

Question 1 : You might use a kettle tipper - pouring boiling water onto vegetables before cooking?

Question 2: As per LL26 answer - yes. There is no definitive answer to what might be considered an aid. You've been recommended that you use these - so you can include these. Be careful in how you describe the impact. It's all too easy for an assessor to decide you no longer have a 'problem'

BIS

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.