× Members

Tribunal & Legal Challenges - Flawed PIP Assessment

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #282944 by Gordon
M

Don't add content just for the sake of it, if you think it needs more then add it but if you don't then leave it alone.

The only thing I would encourage you to do is to make it as easy to read as possible. For example; numbering the paragraphs so they are easy to locate will help the panel follow the issues you are raising. If you quote content then include a clear reference to the source, in particular, if you are including Case Law then only include the relevant quote and a reference to the original hearing, the panel will not appreciate you attaching the full document.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: UB40 Rumrunner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #284949 by MDBond
Hello,

I have just been sent a Tribunal date hearing for 20 November. I'm surprised as the hearing is in person and I expected (due to backlogs and Covid) it to be a telephone hearing.

Due to short notice I won't have my mum available to come with me, mainly for emotional support. Will this be a disadvantage to me? If so can I call and ask for an alternative date?

Otherwise I'm now nervous and a bit unsure of what to expect. I'm comfortable with my evidence which I've sent to the Tribunal.

Am I allowed to take in my own evidence and read from my statement? Or will that look bad? I've listed each descriptor on there and explained again in my own words how I believe I meet the threshold for more points. The DWP have awarded zero points on the vast majority of descriptors I'm challenging. Anyway, I just think it will help me if I can refer to my statement or at least read it before answering the Tribunal's questions.

What sort of things will be asked? Will it be the same strange and sometimes illogical questions the DWP ask? For eg, can you use a knife and fork? Answer Yes, but my conditions mean I can't eat without pain or vomiting, or I won't eat anything besides snacks for the majority of each month.

I hope this makes sense!
Any advice or tips would be great as I'm feeling nervous about the in person hearing.

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #284950 by BIS
Hi MDBond

Only you can say whether or not you feel that your Mum's support is key to you getting through the process of the Tribunal. You can request a change of date citing the fact that your Mum, who is going to be your support, is not available.

Yes, you can take your own evidence with you and read from it.

I can't tell you exactly what they will ask, but the aim is to establish whether the DWP made the right or wrong decision. So their questions will be around the PIP criteria and yes, it's possible that there may be one or two questions that seem strange or illogical.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: UB40 Rumrunner, MDBond

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #284955 by Gordon
M

Just to clarify your using written evidence at a Tribunal hearing, while the Judge can, on the day, accept new written evidence they are not obliged to do so and may decide to postpone the hearing to allow you to provide it to the court.

The proper procedure is for you to submit it to the Tribunal hearing at least two weeks in advance of the hearing so that it can be distributed to all parties.

If you are simply going to read from the document and do not intend for it to be specifically part of the hearing record then it is not a problem.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: UB40 Rumrunner, MDBond

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #284966 by MDBond
Thank you to both of you. I will think about possibly postponing the date, but may go ahead now that you've said it's ok to read from the witness statement/evidence I've already sent to the Tribunal.

I actually have a question re the Mobility elements of PIP.

I had a brief session with a benefits advisor in the summer and she told me that the number of steps I take only count if I walk outside the house. Is this true? Because my conditions mean I can't go outside or walk without significant pain for the majority of the month. I've already told the DWP that, consistently, yet they have chosen point 2d and said I can walk for 50 metres.

Any clarity on this would be great, thank you :)

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #284985 by Gary
Hi MDBond

If you read the moving around activities (a) - (f) there is no mention of moving indoors or moving out doors, it just states "move".

Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.