× Members

Tribunal & Legal Challenges - Flawed PIP Assessment

More
9 months 1 week ago #281970 by BIS
Hi MDBond

You only argue the points that you disagree with. In your written submission, the Tribunal won't expect you to argue something that's not in dispute. If the panel wants to query any other part of the award, they will do so, but I can't tell you whether they will. Every case is different.

Tribunals are generally more sympathetic. At the current time, approximately 68% of appeals are successful.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , MDBond

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 6 days ago #282084 by LL26
Hi MDBond,
In addition to the very good advice from BIS, here's some more information.
Yes, a tribunal will do a fresh hearing. However the rules are clear that a tribunal need not consider matters not raised within the appeal. This could be taken to include points already awarded. If you are sending in further arguments, you can make it clear that DWP points eg Descriptor 1b - 2 pts is correct because you need X aid due to Y health problem. ( Briefly explaining the aid and disability.)

At the hearing if the Judge doesn't say anything about this, you can ask if the tribunal are mindful to agree the points awarded by DWP - bear in mind that if these are all correct, but you are arguing further points on totally different descriptors this may not be a big problem. However if you arguing eg 4 points when DWP only gave 2, then by the very nature of the arguments the tribunal will have to look at the whole of the Descriptor afresh. The tribunal may not wish to restrict itself to only a few descriptors.
This is important because the tribunal can not remove points or reduce an award unless it clearly announces that this is a possibility. It is an error of law to reduce an award without a warning. If a tribunal is minded to reduce the current award, it should give a warning, and adjourn the hearing to allow you to speak with your representative if you have one, or adjourn until a different day to allow you to seek proper advice. A warning doesn't necessarily means an award will get reduced, but just that it might be.
Whilst it's appropriate for advisors to make claimants aware of the risk of a reduced award, it is definitely not a big risk, just simply something that you need to be aware of, so that you can weigh up the possibility of losing what you have, as opposed to what you stand to gain if you get an increased rate of PIP at appeal.
(All legal action bears a degree of risk in some way.)

You have explained that the assessment is inaccurate. The letter you received accepts that the assessment was poor. It is unlikely that the tribunal will 'disallow' the report, but you can argue that due to the poor manner if the assessment the information within in is unreliable.
I'll try and explain further...
Disallowed evidence is realistically only likely to be information revealed via an illegal process. The obvious example would be evidence found via an unlawful police search - but that is not going to be relevant to a PIP appeal.
Unreliable evidence is evidence obtained legally, but of very poor quality. If evidence is unreliable, it will be of little use, and unlikely to help prove the case. This will mean that the tribunal will 'give little or no weight' to the evidence, or in layman's words, basically disregard it.

It is totally appropriate for you to stress that DWP who don't know you, seek to rely on a report that is misleading, and accepted as being below standard, whereas, you can produce X number of medical reports all confirming your relevant disabilities or illness.

As BIS has suggested - briefly deal with the problems with the report. A sentence or two will suffice and make it clear that you complained and this was upheld. Go through each descriptor as required and explain what what points should have been awarded and why. You can at this stage explain inaccuracies in the report on order to explain why extra points should have been awarded. Give examples of what goes wrong/ why you need help etc.

Re-post when you have a tribunal date, and either myself or another Mod will be able to give you some practical tips of what to do at the actual hearing.

I hope this helps.
Good luck.

Ll26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , UB40 Rumrunner, MDBond

More
7 months 4 weeks ago #282871 by MDBond
Hi

Thanks so much for all the support to date. I have just received a letter from the Tribunal and am not sure how to respond, if someone could kindly advise?

I have already sent my PIP audio recording to the Tribunal. I have now completed the audio recording transcript but I cannot upload it to the appeal panel, I think it is having technical problems today. I also cannot upload my new/revised PIP appeal document with all my reasons for disputing the descriptor points awarded by the DWP. I will try to upload it all again later today or failing that, try to upload again tomorrow.

However I have just been sent a letter from the Tribunal about the PIP audio recording. It is a Directions Notice and says:

1. The PIP appeal has been referred to me today for consideration of audio evidence uploaded by the appellant.

To the appellant:

2. Please give the reasons why you consider that it is important for the Tribunal panel to consider the content of the recording.

To the DWP:

[It basically asks - within 28 days of my reply to the above - if they have any objections to producing the recording of my medical assessment as evidence in the appeal, and if they have any additional submissions to make regarding the content of the recording or any transcript produced by the appellant etc].

To the Clerk:

Following compliance with the above directions, please re-refer the appeal for interlocutory review by a Judge so that a decision can be made as to whether the audio recording should be admitted as evidence in the appeal.

Please can someone let me know how to reply, ie should it be online or via post? The info on the cover sheet makes no mention of uploading anything online so I assume I need to reply via post? Also what should I say?

Will I be asked to justify re writing and re submitting a revised appeal as well? I had to revise it as the DWP didn't send me the medical report until a month after my appeal was sent off. I had asked them to send it multiple times.

I would like the Tribunal to use the audio recording/audio transcript because it proves that I told the HP all about my condition and the restrictions I had but she ignored everything I told her and wrote what she wanted in the medical report. It proves I was consistent and gave her all the right information but she either wrote something entirely different [fabricated] in the report or wrote down what I told her and then ignored it when filling out/selecting the descriptors. This occurred many times and if she had listened to what I told her, I should have been awarded the enhanced rate for both components. The audio proves that the HP failed to consider both regulation 4 and regulation 7 in each descriptor throughout, despite being given all the right information by me for both of those to apply to her decision.
It also proves that my mental state was not good, I was very distressed throughout and broke down at 6 different times throughout the interview when discussing my conditions. However the HP wrote that I was calm and polite 'at all times'.

Not sure if I should make this clear. Also should I say now that I will be re-submitting my appeal and explain why again, ie because the DWP failed to send me the medical report by the date I could file my appeal, and instead sent it a month afterwards, so I didn't have all the information at hand when I had to file my appeal.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: UB40 Rumrunner

More
7 months 4 weeks ago #282876 by MDBond
Thank you very much for your detailed explanation, I really appreciate it. I can understand more about how the process works now. Yes I have gone through each descriptor and argued afresh as to why the DWP should have awarded more points. I have only 'agreed' with 3 of the descriptors and made that clear at the start. I think I've argued on 7. Most of them I got a zero award on, I think only 2 of them are ones where I was awarded points which I believe were inaccurate. I'm happy with what I've written in my revised appeal document anyway. Just a matter of making sure it's uploaded to the Tribunal appeal page now :) Yes I will be sure to post here when I have a date. I'm actually hoping that the Tribunal can make a decision on the papers alone [as I've sent a detailed explanation in with evidence that I repeatedly told the DWP my situation but they ignored me and also ignored regulations 4 and 7], however I have asked for a hearing regardless.

More
7 months 4 weeks ago - 7 months 4 weeks ago #282884 by Gordon
M

There are several issues raised by your just submitting the audio recording and/or transcript.

First and perhaps most importantly, the panel are not going to listen to the whole of your assessment, they probably won't have the time during the hearing so you need to direct them to specific parts that you think are relevant to your appeal. This is what the Tribunal is asking for in their letter.

Do this using the transcript, the recording is simply there to confirm that it is an accurate record of what happened on the day.

Secondly and more specifically in regard to your post, you appear to be showing deficiencies in the assessor's report, whilst this is good practice, remember the panel will primarily be interested in hearing why you meet the criteria for an award, showing the report is inaccurate does not do this.

Consider the issue that the assessor has raised, is it possible that you have not explained your problems well? Have you not addressed the relevant Descriptors for those activities that you expected to score for?

You refer to Regulations 4 and 7, have you shown that you meet these criteria either in your original form and evidence or anything that you have subsequently been able to source?

You still have time to provide more testimony for your appeal.

Gordon

Last edit: 7 months 4 weeks ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , MDBond

More
7 months 4 weeks ago #282914 by MDBond
Thanks for your reply Gordon.

Yes, to make it clear, what I have done in my revised appeal document is referred to the transcript, which in turn refers to the minutes on the audio recording where something is stated/discussed.

Thank you for clarifying what I need to tell the Tribunal. I will tell them that my revised appeal refers to exact quotes from numbered sections in the audio recording and transcript.

Also, to address the points re the assessor's report, what I have done in the revised appeal document is addressed each descriptor by firstly stating what if anything the assessor said, then explained what regulation they have contravened [it is always both regulation 4 and 7] and then stated where in the transcript the evidence is that I explained the issue to the assessor and I explained it to the extent that both regulation 4 and 7 apply, but the assessor failed to apply both regulations in their points award. I then explain again fully how I meet the points I believe should be allocated to the descriptor, so that I have covered all bases again.

Most of the descriptors have no issue at all raised by the assessor. In fact the assessor has only raised an issue with what I said on two descriptors. On the rest of them the assessor has said nothing/made no comments and simply picked a descriptor without any justification. On all of the descriptors I have challenged, I can show/have shown that I told the assessor the troubles I had, and that on the basis of the information I told the assessor, both regulations 4 and 7 applied. However on two of the descriptors the assessor raised an issue, they simply made up that I could use an aid [and failed to specify what the aid is] when I said no such thing and no aid exists to overcome the issue and on the other one, they failed to apply regulations 4 and 7 when I clearly told the assessor information that meant regulations 4 and 7 applied.

My appeal document is 30 sides of A4 at the moment. I'm happy to add more information to it, if you think it wise. I have followed the layout/process in your appeal guide.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.