× Members

Pip assessment disaster

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #290051 by Mystery666
Pip assessment disaster was created by Mystery666
Hi, just wondered if I could get any advice please. Was booked in 3 weeks ago for pip assessment on the phone with capita, called ahead of time to request they recorded it and the assessment was cancelled the night before apparently due to the assessor being unwell. I rebooked for same day and time three weeks later (today). Assessor called recorded first 10 mins or so and said it cut off. Then her phone cut off, all in all she called me three times. I had told capita but not the assessor that I intended to record also (on dictaphone), which I have. Anyway, completed reassessment form last year and my conditions have been fluid as I have been extremely unwell and have had a lot of medical intervention in the last year, some things apparently were not recorded despite me since sending in additional evidence since completing the form. Some of my conditions are causing confusion/memory problems/cognitive impairment etc which I informed her, but told her mentally I am currently better than normal. She started asking about fibromyalgia and how it affects me I explained that it was difficult to say about one condition as my other conditions are also causing pain, she repeatedly argued with me that she is a nurse and the other conditions ie adrenal insufficiency and mast cell activation syndrome don’t affect the same organ systems, I persisted in telling her that both of these conditions are causing me a lot of pain and it is impossible to differentiate what condition is causing what exactly. This really riled her and then she started asking me to explain a normal day which I started trying to do but she kept talking over me, I was extremely polite during all of this and that can be heard on the recording, my partner was here too. Then she said I’m taking too long and deviating onto other conditions and she hasn’t even finished writing about one condition after 45 minutes but she had been on and off the phone to her manager, she basically tied me in knots. Then said she would have to end the assessment and I would be sent another appointment once I’ve seen more consultants about my other conditions eg regarding tachycardia and pituitary tumour, but I explained I didn’t need any more diagnosis’s for my pip claim but she said her manager said if it’s taking to long to end it. I told her this wasn’t good enough my partner has now taken two half days off work and it’s also affecting my medical conditions. I told her I wasn’t happy and would make a formal complaint. Can anyone give any advice? I’m actually sick to the back teeth with capita but this now takes the absolute p*ss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #290062 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Pip assessment disaster
Hi Mystery666

By the sound of your post, you have been treated quite appallingly.

I would make three complaints;

1) your MP
2) DWP the Rt Hon Mel Stride MP, I believe he is still in post but I could be wrong
3) Capita; www.capita-pip.co.uk/en/contact-us

I did read on the forum this week where someone made a complaint and it was successful.

Good luck

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , ivyfox, Sheila 966, Mystery666, Anji

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #290065 by Wendy Woo
Replied by Wendy Woo on topic Pip assessment disaster
Hello,

If you search for a post entitled "Anyone complained re Capita assessment" you will find another member's account of her successful complaint against Capita.

Best wishes,

Wendy Woo
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Sheila 966, Anji

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #290067 by Mystery666
Replied by Mystery666 on topic Pip assessment disaster
Thank you for your reply Gary. Would you recommend any suggested outcomes I should ask for?

I saw sometime ago (through the b&w email) that a claimant sued capita and sent in the bailiffs, I’m not particularly bothered about trying to claim any money, but this today was my worst experience by a long stretch and anything I can come at them with I will give a try. I’ve listened back to some of the recording and I believe she is going to do a paper review and lie and say that I was too impaired to do the assessment and that’s why it was taking so long, it wasn’t, it was her utter incompetence.

Also, does complaining to the MP/sec of state for work & pensions normally have any effect?
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #290068 by Sheila 966
Replied by Sheila 966 on topic Pip assessment disaster
Evening Gary/Mystery666 - that was me, my complaint was based on the actual PA4 received;

The following is taken from the letter I received ................

"Capita will investigate all service-related issues/concerns regarding the service provided, though this is limited in relation to report content aspects and includes:
* Factual data that had been recorded incorrectly, and
* Factual data that has been omitted
Where a claimant is able to demonstrate where the factual inaccuracy or omission lies within the report, Capita will investigate the concerns by arranging for a Clinical Advisor, within our Clinical Governance Team to complete a review of the assessment report and supporting evidence and/or an interview with the DA."

I hope that the above will be of some use to you, good luck :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Wendy Woo

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #290083 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Pip assessment disaster
M

The complaint process is entirely separate from the review one, so when you make your complaint you should moderate your request to things that might be delivered.

So, you might start by asking for an apology as to how the assessment was carried out.

If a new assessment is to be booked then there will not be any report from the one that you had, so issues related to your limitations in regard to an award will be off of the table but you could approach how the questioning about your problems was carried out. Perhaps remedial training for the assessor could be suggested.

Do you have any out-of-pocket expenses, you mention your partner took two 1/2 days off of work, is there a monetary value you can attach to this?

You mention it affecting your medical conditions would they prevent you from participating in another assessment? Would your Doctor support you in this? Think about requesting a paper assessment.

As to the Minister, I think this is someone to escalate the issue to not a first point of call. I say this because their immediate response is likely to be that there are established complaint protocols and until these have been completed they will likely brush you off.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, KABTT , Wendy Woo

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.