× Members

Pip - Anxiety and depression

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #290713 by paul
Pip - Anxiety and depression was created by paul
I understand that Mel Stride has a plan to remove the Pip benefit from people with anxiety and depression. There are about 360,000 people claiming Pip with a mental health issue. Some of those will also have physical problems as well. At the same time there are 1.9 million people on the waiting list for mental health therapy! Can you tell me what will happen to someone getting Pip on mental health grounds and over the age of 65? Do they intend those over pension age to work? If so people in that situation may want to apply for attendance allowance - unless Mel Stride wants to do the same with that benefit!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #290718 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Pip - Anxiety and depression
p

No, we can't answer your question.

This is a consultation document (Green Paper), not a statement of intent which at the time of replying has not even been published.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: ivyfox

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #290738 by Jones1988
Replied by Jones1988 on topic Pip - Anxiety and depression
It is a political gimmick by the desperate Tories to create headlines for their fans in the Daily Mail, Express etc. for this weeks local elections.
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Dog Mother, Anji

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #290743 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic Pip - Anxiety and depression
Why is it a political gimmick? They, and quite rightly so, are trying to make sure those who need help get help.

I, personally, would like to see all "back pay" abolished; when someone applies for help they only get it from the point of approval / acceptance. That would save thousands, if not millions, and would leave more in the pot for applications that are approved.

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #290746 by latetrain
Replied by latetrain on topic Pip - Anxiety and depression
Hi Andrew

I would have to disagree with you in regards to back pay, I have come across claimants who have had to wait for years for their claim to be process through no fault of their own, I have dealt with claimants who have died whilst waiting for their claim to be processed through no fault of their own.

I have represented deceased claimants at tribunals through no fault of the claimant, apart from being ill and not being believed.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: an ex nurse, denby, ivyfox, C, welshval, Chris, chezza1959, The Dog Mother, Anji

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #290747 by C
Replied by C on topic Pip - Anxiety and depression
Andrew, someone close to me had his award taken away and it took over two years to get it back through tribunal (and actually increased from what it had been before it was taken away). During the period of not being paid, he went into debt because PIP was a big part of his income (as a disabled person who struggled with work), and he simply couldn't cope. The backpayment he received paid off that debt. Do you really think he didn't deserve that? That he should have just lost those two years for no reason?

Equally, a friend of mine's initial application through no fault of her own took more than eighteen months to be approved. She was just as disabled and in need of help at the start of those eighteen months as when she was approved. Why shouldn't she get the money she was entitled to during that period?

Backpay isn't a gift or reward, it's settling a debt - settling for money owed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: an ex nurse, denby, ivyfox, welshval, chezza1959, Anji

Moderators: GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.