× Members

MR PIP decision letter update 😨

More
4 weeks 16 hours ago #291561 by Anji
Ok folks...

My son's decision letter finally arrived on 18th May...dated 26th April. And we are going to lodge the appeal online. I just need to reread the guide before undertaking it and will have to do it with my son on the phone as we do not live in the same town.

He got 0 points across the board on every activity.

The letter...well, what can I say except I think it is good ammunition for a tribunal.

In the first place they have not listed anywhere the information they have looked at. On page one is a generic 3 bullet points saying they have looked at - the initial claim form; the HP report and 'the extra information'. This does not mention what the extra information was, including the information I sent addressing the errors in the HP assessment; the psychologists report, or the 15 page supporting letter from his ADHD clinic.

The paragraph entitled 'my decision' lists, for 90% of its content, an explanation of what the descriptors mean. For example "to need prompting another person would be needed to help you with the activity". There is nowhere where it actually says how the decision was reached or how they weighed up the additional information we sent in. In fact, it does not mention the additional info at all so there is no indication that they looked at it or why they decided it didn't support his claim. The letter from his clinic was really detailed and, for every activity, stated what support and prompting he needed, how his ADHD affected his ability to undertake tasks, how it affected his safety, and how it meant that he would need a lot longer than most people to complete the tasks that he does. There is nothing to suggest that, if they have read this, how they have decided that a 50 minute conversation with a HP (who was a pharmacist) trumps everything else. They have not even attempted an explanation.

The last sentence of the letter states "Reviewing the assessment report and decision made (in January) we have decided the evidence indicates you have the ability to carry out the activities...to an acceptable standard". It doesn't say WHY or HOW they have reached this decision or why they decided the 15 pages from the clinic do not offer sufficient evidence. Just that this is what they have decided.

I get the impression that this is a cut and paste letter, everything is generic and there is absolutely nothing personal about it at all, apart from the pertinent dates. It is horrific.

I do not think I could get through this without all the support on here. I have to tell you that messages of support and others experiences are so helpful. I think without it I would have done what they wanted and given up. I'm not going to...we carry on fighting till the end.

Anji
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sheila 966

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 weeks 16 hours ago #291563 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic MR PIP decision letter update 😨
Hello Anji,

Go for it! Those of us who have been around this system for a while have bags full of stories of people who have got zero points at initial assessment and at MR, only to go on and get the right award at appeal.

Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Sheila 966, Wendy Woo, Anji

More
4 weeks 15 hours ago #291568 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic MR PIP decision letter update 😨
Anji

You need to request a copy of the Assessment report, a PA4 if they had a participatory assessment or PA3 if it was a Paper assessment, this will explain how the Decision was made.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 weeks 14 hours ago #291569 by Wendy Woo
Replied by Wendy Woo on topic MR PIP decision letter update 😨
Hello Anji,

I am so sorry to hear this - I have been away from the forum for a few days, so I have only just seen your posts from earlier in the week.

Our experience with my son's recent review and subsequent M/R was very similar, in that no adequate individual explanation of how the decision was reached was provided - only a general explanation of the PIP criteria (and one not nearly as comprehensive as any of the B & W guides!).

I agree with what Sheila said in response to your last post - I believe it was only at the appeal stage that my son's claim was looked at by someone senior enough to change the decision in his favour. I was very reluctant to go to appeal in case my son lost the standard award he'd already been granted, but it worked out well for us! Since your son was not awarded anything, you have nothing to lose by appealing and you have the support of everyone here on the forum, which I found helped my confidence more than anything else.

Completing the appeal forms online was easier than I expected and you don't necessarily need to write very much at this stage - after all, you have already provided a great deal of information. You receive an acknowledgment right away and a letter in the post a few days later.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do, and keep us posted!

Best wishes,

Wendy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sheila 966, Leon630, Anji

More
4 weeks 12 hours ago #291571 by denby
Replied by denby on topic MR PIP decision letter update 😨
Dear Anji, countless scores of us on here are rooting for you. I too am autistic and I too got the cut and paste explanations of the definitions of the descriptors in the 'My decision ' paragraph. Funny how they try on the 'they must be idiots so let's treat them like idiots' tactics, all the while rubbishing one's difficulties on the grounds of 'school exams gained.
Just shows their total lack of understanding, that a school with completely predictable routines [timetable, same staff, same spaces etc etc] can actually be a very safe space for a young person on the spectrum. But life isn't so trustworthy for adults...
Almost more sneaky is that mine does list the extra evidence, just avoids referring to almost any of it. Oh and, they've switched which of two hospitals I remain under. So plainly haven't read it properly.
You are not alone!!!
Do not let the political tools grind you down :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Sheila 966, Wendy Woo, Charlie, Anji

More
4 weeks 10 hours ago #291573 by Blueberry Owl
Replied by Blueberry Owl on topic MR PIP decision letter update 😨
Sorry to hear your update Anji.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sheila 966, Anji

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.