× Members

What happens if...

More
13 years 6 months ago #26332 by redcat
What happens if... was created by redcat
...someone who is ill, on IS and top DLA comes in to a lot of money. Obviously they can no longer claim IS but are they still liable for the ESA tests or are they simply no longer a claimant?

Also, when their money finally runs out, do they need to start their claim again from the very start, even though they are at present considered very disabled? It's so hard to understand all the rules!

Shirley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Survivor
13 years 6 months ago #26333 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re: What happens if...
If someone is on just IS on incapacity grounds and they come into money, then depending on how much it is, they may lose their IS. They then would have to live off their capital. When they run out of money, they would have to claim ESA. There would be no medical tests until they make a fresh claim.

If they are on IS and IB, they can continue to claim IB because that is not means-tested, although they would lose the IS.

• pete17971
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #26336 by pete17971
Replied by pete17971 on topic Re:What happens if...
Hi,

Although many 'ifs' and 'buts' in the scenario, firstly people are not forced to claim benefits. If one has enough income/capital to live on then they can do this. There would however be a reduction in future state pension due to no NI contrbutions or credits being made, hence alternative arrangements may need to be made (I am not a financial adviser though - one would probably need one).

Looking at your example situation, DLA is unaffected (providing needs etc don't change) but IS would cease if over the capital threshold. If the person is currently in receipt of IS (by way of not having made enough NI contrbutions to claim IB) then unless that person gets employment for a period which then satisfies the relevant NI contributions which may allow them to in future claim Contribution based ESA, then they would in the future be restricted to claiming Income Related ESA.

Hence their 'capital pot' would have to run down to the level at which they can then claim Income Related ESA. However one must be wary of the intentional disposal of capital rules, ie you cannot just give the money away etc in order to claim benefit.

That is a short summary, but situations may, can and do vary.

Pete

Edit, Sorry Survivor, your post wasn't there when I started typing!!

Pete
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by pete17971.

• martha
13 years 6 months ago #26341 by martha
Replied by martha on topic Re:What happens if...
is it worth saying.. if the money is 'compensation' then all benefit(s )previously claimed has to be paid back, including DLA, that is what happened to me. It was very confusing paying back benefit whilst still entitled and in receipt.

More
13 years 6 months ago #26342 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:What happens if...
Hi

I don't know much about this area of the benefit system, but sadly, I had a friend who won a three-year stressful legal battle to get compensation for an injury suffered at work.

He received £8000, but about £6500 was clawed back by the DWP to cover sickness benefits he received during that time as a result of his injury. Most of the remainder was spent on petrol and other expenses incurred in the dispute.

He felt it wasn't worth all the stress and wouldn't have bothered if he knew how little he would end up with.

Derek

• martha
13 years 6 months ago #26343 by martha
Replied by martha on topic Re:What happens if...
Mine was a five year legal battle, after a head on rta which left me with terrible injuries, im still having operations 10 years later. I had to pay back £98,000 benefit including dla, which i assumed wrongly, was paid because i was disabled. The strange part was sending the cheque off and getting the next months dla in my bank account at the same time. The compensation never covered the final medical bills and i was left in debt. losing my job, home and my child to boot!! It certainly wasnt worth the fight or my sanity.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.