× Members

attending a tribunal as an observer

• ChattyCathy
  • Topic Author
13 years 5 months ago #29000 by ChattyCathy
attending a tribunal as an observer was created by ChattyCathy
I have read somewhere on here that you can attend a tribunal as an observer, (now I can't find where I have read it) which is a good idea so that you can be familiar with the way things are done, but how would one do this? thanks if anyone knows!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #29001 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:attending a tribunal as an observer
Hi ChattyCathy

You can turn up to your local tribunal venue and tell the receptionist/security guard that you would like attend a hearing. (Check what times they are held first).

The Judge does has the power to hold a hearing in private though, and may ask the appellant if he or she minds members of the public being present.

Best wishes

Derek

More
13 years 5 months ago #29014 by Doris
Replied by Doris on topic Re:attending a tribunal as an observer
This is very interesting. I was recently thinking how long it would be before a Sun reporter started to attend Tribunal Appeals in order to scare the disabled even further.

I wasn't aware the Tribunal judge would seek your permission to decline having any third party in the room looking on. I don't like the idea of discussing my toilet needs in front of a Doctor, let alone a complete stranger !

• migmogs
13 years 5 months ago #29024 by migmogs
Replied by migmogs on topic Re:attending a tribunal as an observer
this is a 2 edged sword

yes I wish that we had known before hand what to expect at my OH's Tribunal so that we wouldn't have felt so rocked and upset by it all,

yet to be honest

a lot of the details covered are very very personal.and I am not so sure that other people should be present when such minute details of a persons illness/dissability is being poured over

More
13 years 5 months ago #29027 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:attending a tribunal as an observer
You could approach the claimant and explain that you are awaiting a tribunal and want to see how it functions, it might make a difference to their decision.

Steve

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
13 years 5 months ago #29041 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:attending a tribunal as an observer
The law requires tribunal hearings to take place in public, just like criminal trials. As very few people turn up to watch tribunals it is difficult to know what a judge is likely to do. However, the judge has the final say, and at his or her discretion, can allow or prevent members of the public from attending.

One thing I can say for certain is that if anybody turned up to my hearing and the judge refused a request for a private hearing, I would walk out and consider whether I have grounds for a UT appeal.

Strangely enough, if a member of the public was present at my hearing, which took place in an office-like room, I couldn't see a gallery or chairs for them to sit. Perhaps they sit round the table!

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.