× Members

attending a tribunal as an observer

• ChattyCathy
  • Topic Author
13 years 5 months ago #29061 by ChattyCathy
Replied by ChattyCathy on topic Re:attending a tribunal as an observer
Thanks for replies, some very interesting points made, yes as I will probably have to have one (a tribunal) I would like to see how they work, on the other hand if it was me having one, would I want a stranger present listenening to my toilet needs? - good point and very good point that for all they know I could be a 'sun' reporter (the thought of that - how very hideous). I would say to the claimant who I was and why I was there...definitely, and as there are stict security checks wouldn't a 'sun' reporter have to state who he was and why he was there? and if not, why not? And having done this it would only be fair for those in charge to notify the claimant that a 'sun' reporter was present..

I still don't know where on here the beneits and work website I read 'how to go to a tribunal as an observer before you attend your own'....I can't find it again...anybody know where I might have read it? so then I can follow this instruction?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #29077 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:attending a tribunal as an observer
Hi ChattyCathy

It's on page 21 of the ESA appeal guide, in the members' area.

There is another interesting question that this thread has put into my head. As a tribunal is a court of law, is there anything preventing a Sun reporter from attending a tribunal, writing and publishing a full report of the hearing, including the name of the appellant and everything that was said, like they do in criminal courts?

Or could a member of the public post everything he hears on the internet?

As a tribunal is held in a public place I'm not entirely sure what would prevent this.

I should just add that tribunal hearings with members of the public in attendance are extremely rare, please don't have nightmares.

Derek
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by Derek4. Reason: added reassurance

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #29088 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:attending a tribunal as an observer
Although a Tribunal hearing is a 'Court of Law' albeit an informal one, a Tribunal Chairman or Tribunal Judge can rule that no members of the public or anyone else be present except parties to the appeal.

This is normally done either at the request of the appellant, or because there are sensitive issues which may be raised during the appeal.

The final decision lies with the Tribunal Chair or Tribunal Judge.

Anyone not complying with their decision, be it a member of the public or a newspaper etc. could face proceedings for 'contempt of court'

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law). Reason: Corrected typo

• ChattyCathy
  • Topic Author
13 years 5 months ago #29372 by ChattyCathy
Replied by ChattyCathy on topic Re:attending a tribunal as an observer
Thanks for pointing out exactly where it was that I must have seen it, I shall take a look, by the way, Derek, I was tickled by your 'please don't have nightmares' comment... :))) (can't find a smiley face picture on here) You're a star!!

• Pusscat
13 years 5 months ago #29384 by Pusscat
Replied by Pusscat on topic Re:attending a tribunal as an observer
Hi

Thanks for raising the question on tribunals. Can anyone let me know if I have representation do I need to put anything forward, i.e. answer questions etc, or will my rep do that for me?

Thanks

Pusscat

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
13 years 5 months ago #29388 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:attending a tribunal as an observer
Hi P,

As it's your appeal, the tribunal will direct any questions it has at you since you know more about your condition than anyone else.

Your representative will be given the opportunity to put a submission before the tribunal panel and raise anything you don't understand.

However, reps are not allowed to reply to any questions put to you, nor to prompt you as to what to say.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Jim

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.