× Members

JSA and disability premiums

More
13 years 2 months ago #43464 by micksville
Replied by micksville on topic Re:JSA and disability premiums
out of interest Gordon can you post me the link about the contribution based ESA upon transfer Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #43475 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:JSA and disability premiums
micksville

Have a look at the following document.

www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/incapacity-benefit-reassessment-faqs.pdf

The reference is in the second paragraph of the "Will people previously entitled to Incapacity Benefit now be entitled to contributory Employment and Support Allowance when they reclaim?" question on page 8 of the document.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Rosered
13 years 2 months ago #43476 by Rosered
Replied by Rosered on topic Re:JSA and disability premiums
Gareth wrote:

micksville wrote:

I have been on Incap for some years now six I think so I assume I will go onto Income based as I have nowhere near the £6,000 threshold to put me on contributions based JSA if I were to be unlucky enough to be placed on JSA.

Also bear in mind that it's not just the magnitude of one's savings that is taken not account it's also any other income that is coming in the house e.g. income from a working partner. This is why some couples could end up loosing almost £5000 a year from their household budget and not be eligible for any extra help in terms of benefits.

If you live with your parents do they include that when assessing income coming into the household.

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #43482 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:JSA and disability premiums
Rosered

The simplistic answer for ESA, is that "income" relates to you and your partner. However, there are benefits where a parents income would be considered.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

• Ranald
13 years 2 months ago #43496 by Ranald
Replied by Ranald on topic Re:JSA and disability premiums
I can't understand how anyone who has been on benefits for donkey's years could possibly have £6,000 never mind £16,000!

Surely the majority effected will be those with working partners?

I am not claiming it is fair in the slightest but i would be surprised if many singles have amassed substantial sums of money on benefits.

Ranald

• Rosered
13 years 2 months ago #43517 by Rosered
Replied by Rosered on topic Re:JSA and disability premiums
Some people may be in a situation whereby they worked and owned their own home before becoming ill and having to rely on benefits. It is possible that after a number of years they may have had to downsize their house and free up some cash. In the past that would have left them money to spare but it looks like the way the government is going a person will have to use up most of their personal assets before claiming for sickness.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.