× Members

JSA and disability premiums

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #43442 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:JSA and disability premiums
micksville

It is expected that the majority of IB claimants who are successfully transferred, will receive Contribution Based ESA. Those in the WRAG, will be transferred, after a year, to Income Related ESA subject to a means test.

As Gareth says, the means test includes other criteria than just your assets. You can actually have upto £16,000 in assets, but there is a £1 deduction for every £250 above £6,000.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by Gordon. Reason: corrected $6000 mistake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #43443 by Gareth56
Replied by Gareth56 on topic Re:JSA and disability premiums
$6000 :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #43446 by Gareth56
Replied by Gareth56 on topic Re:JSA and disability premiums
micksville wrote:

Yes I see where you are coming from Gareth. I have had a look at Gordon's link and also spoken on the phone to the disability advice line. The only grey area is eligibity regarding contributioons. The advisor says that people in my case ( I am single and have no savings above the six grand threshold)would probably be placed on eithr Income based or a mixture of part Income and part contibutions based . This would be the same whether it is ESA or JSA.
She maintains that when they look at your contributions over the last three qualifying years they are looking at paid contributions. i.e. paid by oneself if you've been in employment during those three years as well as accrued contributions that are paid automatically for you when on long term benefits. In many ways the sooner this universal credit comes in the betetr if it really is less complicted - though I'm sure members will have an opinion on that.

I've asked my MP a series of questions on the 1 year [proposed] restriction of CB ESA (if in the WRAG) e.g. What happens if during your one year on CB ESA your condition deteriorates and you believe you could be eligible for the Support Group.

Likewise what happens after your one year on CB ESA your condition deteriorates such that you believe that you now may be eligible for the Support Group can you reapply for ESA.

If I receive any answers to my questions I'll let the Members know. Or if anyone already knows can they answer the above!

Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by Gareth56.

More
13 years 2 months ago #43448 by micksville
Replied by micksville on topic Re:JSA and disability premiums
It's like one door opens and another one closes... So really this is designed to stop people claiming their premiums for at least the first year after transfer and also the government knows that after a year many, especially couples will go onto Income based and still save the government money through reduced payouts.

More
13 years 2 months ago #43449 by micksville
Replied by micksville on topic Re:JSA and disability premiums
I assume Gordon that the same applies if one is unsuccesfully transferred and placed onto JSA instead. Would that automatically be contribution based? Though from what the advisor told me JSA contribution based is applicable for only six months before transfer to Income based JSA

More
13 years 2 months ago #43454 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:JSA and disability premiums
micksville

My assumption is yes, although I have seen no documentation to support this, whereas I have for a successful transfer. According to the DirectGov website, JSA(CB) is limited to 182 days.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.