× Members

ESA - CBT

• RachelPotter
13 years 2 months ago #44917 by RachelPotter
Replied by RachelPotter on topic Re:ESA - CBT
Hi CD, I'm getting a bit spooked by this. Will I have to do CBT now I've won my appeal?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #44919 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:ESA - CBT
It all depends on your personal advisor Rachel.

I told mine that my concentration is poor at the moment. He said that concentration is crucial for the courses they provide (which I think includes CBT) and decided not to refer me to it (for now at least!).
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by Derek4. Reason: grammar

• RachelPotter
13 years 2 months ago #44925 by RachelPotter
Thanks Derek, that's a relief! I'm not sure I could take any 'treatment' at the moment!

I wonder how long it will be before I get my first, sorry, second interview. The one at the job center was ages ago.

Do you know if they offer counselling? Or is that not in fashion at the moment?

Best wishes,
Rachel

More
13 years 2 months ago #44929 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:ESA - CBT
Hi Rachel

Counselling is exactly the treatment that I was looking for and enquired about. My provider doesn't provide it. Pathways to Work providers are only interested in getting sick people incapable of work, into work (and a bit of cash in their pockets) rather than actually helping claimants with their health problems.

I was paying £20 a session for counselling when I had my IB stopped and could no longer afford it. With an ESA medical due in a few months I reckon the same thing would happen again, which naturally prohibits me from wasting money again on starting counselling.

Derek

• RachelPotter
13 years 2 months ago #44933 by RachelPotter
Hm, that's not good Derek, and good on you for trying!

My doctor asked if I could afford it last time I asked and no I can't!

They ought to realise that some of us will never be fit for work unless we get the help we need!

Do you have a date for your medical?

I really, really hope it's not too horrible for you!

Best wishes,
Rachel

• Catherine
13 years 2 months ago #44938 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic Re:ESA - CBT
I find the notion of 'compulsory therapy' quite distasteful, as is being sanctioned for failure to attend.

I have nothing against 'positive thinking' or people requesting therapy to help come to terms with work related issues, if that is what they feel they need, but think there should be a range of counselling and therapies on offer via patient's GPs and mental health services.

I think vulnerable people will struggle to engage with any kind of therapy that is seen as overly prescriptive or put in place to assist with the government's 'back to work agenda'.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.