× Members

Is ESA means tested ?.

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #50809 by sheleo
Replied by sheleo on topic Re:Is ESA means tested ?.
That's a good point. Can anyone clarify what is meant by transitional protection? I'm guessing it just refers to IB/ESA rates and not to anything else.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• froglegs
13 years 2 weeks ago #50814 by froglegs
Replied by froglegs on topic Re:Is ESA means tested ?.
I had a long appointment with my benefits advisor this afternoon and she answered a few questions for me that may be useful in this topic.

I am currently on IB and have been since the early 90s so my IB is not currently taxable and my occupational pension is ignored and does not affect my IB.

When I am migrated onto ESA (CB) my occupational pension will still be ignored and will not affect the amount of ESA I receive (and it is over £85 a week)

However the ESA I receive WILL be taxable, immediately I am migrated.

After a year I am basically stuffed and will be expected to live on my pension (£120 a week) and nothing else. I will not qualify for any IR ESA or any other means tested benefit.

She has suggested I see my local MP and set out in detail the devestating effect the 1 year rule will have on my income. I will do that but dont see it doing much good.

• originaldave
13 years 2 weeks ago #50817 by originaldave
Replied by originaldave on topic Re:Is ESA means tested ?.
froglegs wrote:

I had a long appointment with my benefits advisor this afternoon and she answered a few questions for me that may be useful in this topic.

I am currently on IB and have been since the early 90s so my IB is not currently taxable and my occupational pension is ignored and does not affect my IB.

When I am migrated onto ESA (CB) my occupational pension will still be ignored and will not affect the amount of ESA I receive (and it is over £85 a week)

However the ESA I receive WILL be taxable, immediately I am migrated.

After a year I am basically stuffed and will be expected to live on my pension (£120 a week) and nothing else. I will not qualify for any IR ESA or any other means tested benefit.

She has suggested I see my local MP and set out in detail the devestating effect the 1 year rule will have on my income. I will do that but dont see it doing much good.

I am not sure if what you have said is right, not sure what will wait for an expert to come along :)

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #50818 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Is ESA means tested ?.
froglegs

I hope that I am wrong, but having just gone back through the legislation that covers the IB to ESA transfer, I can see no provisions that would cover pension income being ignored as you have been told.

It is possible that this could be covered by the Decision Makers Guide, however, I think this is unlikely.

If anybody can prove me wrong, plase do :(

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #50819 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Is ESA means tested ?.
sheleo wrote:

That's a good point. Can anyone clarify what is meant by transitional protection? I'm guessing it just refers to IB/ESA rates and not to anything else.

That is my understanding, all other ESA regulations e.g. taxation, income, etc. remain unchanged.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Survivor
13 years 2 weeks ago #50820 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re:Is ESA means tested ?.
I can't find anything in my CPAG book about pension being ignored for ESA.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.