× Members

contrib based ESA 12 months

• Magic
13 years 4 weeks ago #52853 by Magic
Replied by Magic on topic Re: contrib based ESA 12 months
I do agree with you. My husband had brain surgery some 15 months ago. The recognised period for recovery from brain injury (removal of brain tumours falls imto the brain injury category) is two years. He cannot be expected to be fully recovered before that time yet, after 40 years of NI contributions, his benefit will be stopped. I work but have had to reduce my hours to care for him so we have to expect a further reduction in income. I do know that, although this is very unfair, it is not the same pressure as people who are on long term benefits without the support of a wage earning partner. Heartfelt thanks to the benefits and work web site for the invaluable service they provide.
Magic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #52860 by skcollobcat10
Replied by skcollobcat10 on topic Re: contrib based ESA 12 months
I totally agree.

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #52876 by hassled mum
Replied by hassled mum on topic Re: contrib based ESA 12 months
I agree xfactor I am on c based esa review nov 2011 in the wrag but absolutely no chance of getting back into work in the next few years if at all, have worked all my adult life paid tax and stamp etc. and now diagnosed with a chronic progressive degenerative condition, I applied for esa because we lost my income, my husband works and takes no holiday time, we don't claim any other benefits apart from DLA my son and myself, (he has the same genetic condition.)and yet it feels unfair that I will not be better after 12 months (I wish I was)I had a wonderful job which I can go back to If i am well enough but thats not going to happen atm yet after 12 months the government will stop my ESA because I have worked and paid all my stamp and taxes. We don't have any savings but husband earns over the thresh hold for ib esa. so alas the government have us by the ****

• Graham
13 years 4 weeks ago #52898 by Graham
Replied by Graham on topic Re: contrib based ESA 12 months
I couldn't agree more. I had to give up a 6 figure salary due to my illness. Does this Govt think I would rather be at home on £80 a week instead of my regular income. Then after one year NOTHING. That that will encourage me to go back to work? I would love to be back earning etc. As for having paid my NI and taxes, I have paid the maximum NI stamp all my working life and taxes that were astronomical. All for what? To be made to feel I'm a social scrounger living off others hard earned income. Ridiculous.

Rant over.

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #52900 by DRAGON2009
Replied by DRAGON2009 on topic Re: contrib based ESA 12 months
It is plain wrong.

Contrib based sickenss benefits have been in effect a disability pension without time limit, for generations, as long as the claimant continued to meet the disability criteria. To change that is to undermine what people pain for as national insurance, and to threaten their mental and physical wellbeing, and the income of their households, and even their relationships with their partner, by making them dependent and slashing the household incom

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #52908 by sheleo
Replied by sheleo on topic Re: contrib based ESA 12 months
I wrote to my MP outlining a situation similar to what you've described. He sent back a three page letter which completely failed to address this issue. I don't mind if they take my money away providing they take my disability as well !!!!

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.