× Members

Crohns desease & elegability for support group ESA

More
12 years 10 months ago #57886 by skyblue4u
My son suffers from crohns decease and is often having flare ups etc. He does not have a colostmy as yet but has lost 8 feet of his bowels in an operation several years ago due to crohns.With this comes the problem of soling himself etc and going toilet very often sometimes to late. My question is would be would he qualify for the support group of ESA due to the fact he has several episodes of being unable to control his bowels a day/ week, often more and a change of clothes is required very often. This would be able to be substantiated by his gp and consultant. Thanks for any help and advise.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #57891 by Gordon
Skyblue

The Support Group criteria for this area is

8. Absence or loss of control over extensive evacuation of the bowel and/or bladder, other than enuresis (bed-wetting) despite the presence of any aids or adaptations normally used.
At least once a week experiences
(i) loss of control leading to extensive evacuation of the bowel and/or voiding of the
bladder; or
(ii) substantial leakage of the contents of a collecting device;
sufficient to require cleaning and a change in clothing.

Hope this helps.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
12 years 10 months ago #57968 by skyblue4u
Thank you Gordon for your imformative reply. in reading your sumary of this am right in thinking on this medical problem alone and he dos have the situations that you mentioned on a feqeunt basis he should be in the support group?

Thanks again

• millymoo
12 years 10 months ago #57971 by millymoo
Hi Skyblue

Just to confirm i also have severe Crohn's Disease and have incontinance due to the nature of this disease so have to carry spare clothes if i go out. Because of this i am in the support group, but atos in their report stated there was no obvious sign of incontinance so gave me nil points for that descripter. I appealled the decision and a week before my tribunal DWP overturned the decision following a letter from my GP. So if they try to put this issue to one side or ignore it it really is worth the fight to appeal.

My advice to you is to get a written statement from your GP or consultant and send this in with your application for ESA. I was embarrassed about having accidents so i didn't talk to the health professionals until it was too late. I did tell the atos dr but that wasn't enough as he chose to ignore that descripter.

Good luck
Mm :) xx

More
12 years 10 months ago #57975 by Porridge
Millymoo, I am disgusted that you told the Atos doctor about your incontinence and he/she said there was no "sign" of it. What sign is there supposed to be? Anyway, I'm glad it all came right for you in the end.

“There isn’t anyone who doesn’t appreciate kindness and compassion.” – Dalai Lama

More
12 years 10 months ago #57976 by Gordon
Skyblue

I hope you will forgive me, but I am really not in a position to say whether your son meets the criteria or not, all I can do is provide information to assist you.

Have a look at the ESA Handbook in the Members area. This document explains how the ATOS "medical" staff are instructed to carry out assessments.

Incontinence is covered in section 3.3.10 which starts on page 85.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.