× Members

Crohns desease & elegability for support group ESA

• originaldave
12 years 10 months ago #57986 by originaldave
IMO the best way to deal with incontinance issues is to self refer as you can to the have incontinance team in your area.... they will see you and then write a detailed letter to your GP they are also under NICE and PCT guidelines the people who can prescribe pads and many other aids ... they will see you ever 6 months and if you look at atos/dla ib esa "stuff" they all talk of this team as the people to get information and help off

www.nice.org.uk/CG49

www.nice.org.uk/guidance/CG40

guidelines are just coming in

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• millymoo
12 years 10 months ago #57993 by millymoo
Hi Kate

Atos dr contradicted quite a few things on his report like in one question he stated that i was tube fed and in the next breath he said i ate a normal diet!!!! He also stated that i had a good medical knowledge of Crohn's disease, but why shouldn't i have, i have to live with it but he made me feel like i was making my illness up, or making out it was worse than it was even though my medical was done on a good day for me. My mistake was not getting a report from my GP before i sent the questionaire off.

Mm :) xx

• originaldave
12 years 10 months ago #57998 by originaldave
millymoo wrote:

Hi Kate

Atos dr contradicted quite a few things on his report like in one question he stated that i was tube fed and in the next breath he said i ate a normal diet!!!! He also stated that i had a good medical knowledge of Crohn's disease, but why shouldn't i have, i have to live with it but he made me feel like i was making my illness up, or making out it was worse than it was even though my medical was done on a good day for me. My mistake was not getting a report from my GP before i sent the questionaire off.

Mm :) xx

:silly: the atos dr is using "code" IMO when he says you have "good knowledge of your problem" ;)

a bit like when they write FLK on gp notes :laugh: I dont think he thinks your making it up

More
12 years 10 months ago #58003 by penthesili
Hi Skyblue
Last week the District Nurse did an incontinence assessment for me,(both varieties, for IBS and lack of bladder control) has arranged for pads to be delivered and is writing a report to my GP. If you've got something like that on your medical notes it would be much harder for ATOS to ignore it, especially if your son is wearing a pad when he sees the doctor.

• Rosered
12 years 10 months ago #58025 by Rosered
But they don't ask you to undress do they.

Also mine is caused by a stricture following a bowel operation. They could only examine my bowels for a short period with a camera when I underwent a colonscophy as the camera got stuck and the surgeon did not want to push it any further through the narrow hole in case it perforated my bowels.

So what do you do when going for an ATOS examination other than the fact that you have had a partial colonscophy and wear pads you have very little other than your word to prove your condition.

• originaldave
12 years 10 months ago #58026 by originaldave
Rosered wrote:

But they don't ask you to undress do they.

Also mine is caused by a stricture following a bowel operation. They could only examine my bowels for a short period with a camera when I underwent a colonscophy as the camera got stuck and the surgeon did not want to push it any further through the narrow hole in case it perforated my bowels.

So what do you do when going for an ATOS examination other than the fact that you have had a partial colonscophy and wear pads you have very little other than your word to prove your condition.

I can only think of one hospital in the uk thats able to carry out proper test for that sort of problem and the chance of getting your local PCT to send you and pay for tests is very slim and even that type of testing is cheaper than what the yanks would carry out

this I think could be a big problem in future all people being moved from ib to esa and dla to pip are going to need up to date tests and evidance as they cut down on spending :(

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.