× Members

Atos Medical

• frater1
  • Topic Author
12 years 8 months ago #61949 by frater1
Atos Medical was created by frater1
thanks to B&W I went for my medical with more confidence than otherwise. I asked for a copy of my medical report, which I received. It is interesting just how much of the medical report is based upon assumptions. What made me laugh was that the medical examiner even described a small bag I was carrying in detail. I have continence problems, and when away from home I carry a bag with soap towel and change of trousers. I was asked what I do when I have an 'accident'? I just opened my bag and showed it's content. The report however said that I was eager to show the contents of my bag, AND that I was able to handle it with both hands without difficulty. This had no relevance to my medical condition at all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gertie
12 years 8 months ago #61951 by Gertie
Replied by Gertie on topic Re:Atos Medical
Next they will be noting down - she had a pair of visible hands!

They noted down the same things on my report about my bag, also my appearance, my clothing and that I complained because I had to wait for 2 hours to be seen. Although, I was only in there for 17 minutes and some say that is record time...maybe they wanted to get rid of me :woohoo:

• Andy
12 years 8 months ago #61963 by Andy
Replied by Andy on topic Re:Atos Medical
frater1 wrote:

The report however said that I was eager to show the contents of my bag, AND that I was able to handle it with both hands without difficulty. This had no relevance to my medical condition at all.

This would be due to the, in my opinion, bonkers system that the WCA is all about what you CAN do rather than the limitations of your condition. Also that they approach it INDIRECTLY - by asking about your 'typical day' and by observing what you do during the interview.

So the HCPs make a note of anything they see you do that shows capability. My report included that I stood without difficulty for 2 minutes while the couch was moved (nearer to where the HCP was sitting). Absolutely true and completely irrelevant. Also that I walked to the loo and back at the end of my assessment. Slightly more relevant perhaps, but frankly a bit petty.

Ultimately, they're looking for any action which can then be used to justify saying you DON'T qualify for a given descriptor (even when you've already stated you're not claiming you do!)

The whole thing would not be out of place in Alice in Wonderland.

• originaldave
12 years 8 months ago #61965 by originaldave
Replied by originaldave on topic Re:Atos Medical
frater1 wrote:

thanks to B&W I went for my medical with more confidence than otherwise. I asked for a copy of my medical report, which I received. It is interesting just how much of the medical report is based upon assumptions. What made me laugh was that the medical examiner even described a small bag I was carrying in detail. I have continence problems, and when away from home I carry a bag with soap towel and change of trousers. I was asked what I do when I have an 'accident'? I just opened my bag and showed it's content. The report however said that I was eager to show the contents of my bag, AND that I was able to handle it with both hands without difficulty. This had no relevance to my medical condition at all.

IMO and I am no expert :) and could be wrong ... the way he has wrote about being eager is because thats different than how he expected you to be when talking about that problem .... most of the info thats in the disability hand book and from charities is that people with such problems are not happy or able to talk openly about such problems ... his comments could be questioning your problem.

The answer based on the DWP site info IMO I think he expected was you to say you have a way of dealing with the matter but dont like to talk about it

you "I just opened " is something others might want to think about the dwp a to z and the disability hand book are IMO quiet clear as to how they expect someone to react to such a question on this matter

More
12 years 8 months ago #61966 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:Atos Medical
Hi Dave

I think you are wrong. The ADA didn't necessarily choose the word 'eager', it was probably picked from a limited selection of phrases that the LiMA software offers and should be taken with a pinch of salt.

It's rather like the phases 'likes to do housework in the morning' or 'likes to cook in the evening'. Atos seem to think that if we do anything at all, we must like it or be eager to do it.

Regards

Derek

• originaldave
12 years 8 months ago #61975 by originaldave
Replied by originaldave on topic Re:Atos Medical
Derek4 wrote:

Hi Dave

I think you are wrong. The ADA didn't necessarily choose the word 'eager', it was probably picked from a limited selection of phrases that the LiMA software offers and should be taken with a pinch of salt.

It's rather like the phases 'likes to do housework in the morning' or 'likes to cook in the evening'. Atos seem to think that if we do anything at all, we must like it or be eager to do it.

Regards

Derek

you could be right but reading up in there own hand book as to how they expect people with such problems to act, she did not act like that (not that theres anything wrong with that way) and not being very trusting of them lot (atos) , it came across to me the way it was wrote that they where qustioning the disability :) now do atos do that ? :silly:

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.