× Members

esa or dla?

• Minnime
  • Topic Author
12 years 5 months ago #72510 by Minnime
esa or dla? was created by Minnime
Hi, I have been unable to work for 10 months because of severe depression/anxiety. My employment has just come to an end and I have made a claim for ESA (by phone only so far). Reading articles on this site, though, I wonder if I would be elligible for DLA instead? Would I have been told this when I made the telephone claim for ESA or do I have to reclaim for DLA? Has anyone been through something similar?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pete17971
12 years 5 months ago #72511 by pete17971
Replied by pete17971 on topic Re:esa or dla?
Minnime wrote:

Hi, I have been unable to work for 10 months because of severe depression/anxiety. My employment has just come to an end and I have made a claim for ESA (by phone only so far). Reading articles on this site, though, I wonder if I would be elligible for DLA instead? Would I have been told this when I made the telephone claim for ESA or do I have to reclaim for DLA? Has anyone been through something similar?

Hi,

DLA is a totally separate benefit to ESA.

DLA is paid if you have care and/or mobility needs and can be paid whether you are in work or not.

Full details of DLA are in the guides in the members area here:

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants

with how to claim here:

www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits...edpeople/DG_10011925

Pete

More
12 years 5 months ago #72518 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Re:esa or dla?
As Pete says, this doesn't have to be an either/or situation as the criteria for the benefits are different. Some people who claim DLA work and therefore don't get ESA, some people on ESA don't qualify for DLA, some people get both - and, if ATOS get their way, many people get neither! :ohmy:

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Minnime
  • Topic Author
12 years 5 months ago #72572 by Minnime
Replied by Minnime on topic Re:esa or dla?
Thank you for your response! I have just received a letter advising I am going to be paid just over £11 a week ESA. I will definitely have to claim DLA - how does that paltry amount replace my wage?!!

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.